Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is This What I Need Or Will This Do What I'm Trying To Do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs14smith

Hi everyone,

I'm extremely extremely new to RF devices, so I thought before I bought two components on Amazon I'd check here to see if they are what I need to accomplish my goal.

What I want to do for starters is, I have the Parallax Board of Education, and I want to be able to turn LEDs on and off with a RF Controller.

So I searched amazon, and was wondering would this controller do the trick:

Amazon.com: Transmitter: (ZX10) 5-Channel FM 72 MHz: 3D2: T-28: Toys & Games

Then I know I also need a receiver, and amazon stated that, people that bought that controller bought this:

Amazon.com: 6-Channel Micro Receiver FM 72MHZ, Neg Shift: BCP: Toys & Games

After I'm comfortable turning the LEDs on and off wirelessly, I want to be able to wirelessly drive my Boe Bot that I build, so I only see myself needing "4" controls. Forward/Backwards/Left/Right, but I just need to make sure these are the only components I need in order to make that happened. I also don't want to spend a lot of money to make it happen :)

So in all, I'm just trying to learn the basics first, and want to start with some simple devices.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you want to use a microcontroller board to control something (LEDs in this case) wirelessly you're better off getting module tailored for that purpose.
SparkFun Electronics - RF Link Transmitter - 315MHz
SparkFun Electronics - RF Link 4800bps Receiver - 315MHz

They're small, cheap and will easily integrate later into your Boe Bot.

Yeah but for the transmitter, I want it to look like a regular RC controller. I wont only use this for my Boe Bot project, but for future projects as well, so I just need to confirm that the two components I'm looking at will work with a microprocessor allowing me to receive and send high and low signals?

Thanks

After I'm comfortable turning the LEDs on and off wirelessly, I want to be able to wirelessly drive my Boe Bot that I build, so I only see myself needing "4" controls. Forward/Backwards/Left/Right, but I just need to make sure these are the only components I need in order to make that happened. I also don't want to spend a lot of money to make it happen :)

Hi Smith, an encoder like a PT2272 paired with PT2262 will do good too, which has four inputs/outputs for the transmitter using simple switches and four outputs for the receiver end. It's very cheap. The output can be fed into an L293 or any equivalent H-bridge to drive the motors according to your requirements.

Cheers.

Hi Smith, an encoder like a PT2272 paired with PT2262 will do good too, which has four inputs/outputs for the transmitter using simple switches and four outputs for the receiver end. It's very cheap. The output can be fed into an L293 or any equivalent H-bridge to drive the motors according to your requirements.

Cheers.

Thanks for the recommendation, however, again for the transmitter, I'm looking for something that's already built and built like a regular RC controller as I showed in the link above.

So my main concern or question is, will the two components above that I linked to, work as well? I guess I should have made that more clear in my OP. Basically, I'm trying to by pass having to create my own switches , toggles etc. for the controller. Let me know what you think.

Hi,

Yes, they seem to be made to be paired with each other. However, if you're looking for cheaper and simpler and more educational ones, the ones I suggested is good enough, since your application is only for left-right and so on. The ones I suggested need basics in soldering circuit boards/perfboards but it'll cost like less than 5 bucks to build it.

cheers.

Hi,

Yes, they seem to be made to be paired with each other. However, if you're looking for cheaper and simpler and more educational ones, the ones I suggested is good enough, since your application is only for left-right and so on. The ones I suggested need basics in soldering circuit boards/perfboards but it'll cost like less than 5 bucks to build it.

cheers.

Well as you stated, the one's you refereed to do require soldering, and I assume I'll also have to create my own joystick, and I agree, it's more educational that way, however, I'm trying to bypass the labor work and just buy something that has 70% of what I need already built to last. I just hope the receiver comes with some instructions as it's hard from the picture to see how you are suppose to hook it up. But that I'm sure I can figure out as well with the help of this forum. The main thing was, I wanted to make sure it is something that will work for my project.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread, it sparked an idea. I also have the Boe Bot kit, but I was looking for an excuse to hack some zip zaps that I bought from Radio Shack when they went on clearance. The Boe Bot would be the perfect platform to play with the transmitter and receiver.

Thanks for the thread, it sparked an idea. I also have the Boe Bot kit, but I was looking for an excuse to hack some zip zaps that I bought from Radio Shack when they went on clearance. The Boe Bot would be the perfect platform to play with the transmitter and receiver.

Yeah I ended up going with "LTX71CM's" parts he/she suggested. I'm sure I'll need some help understanding how the data is handled between the two, and if I need some special instruction/s in Basic Stamp to get the wireless part working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back