Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is This Right? ( 555 and 4024)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtr_stitch

Hey all,

Just curious...is this circuit right?

Just kinda double checking... major n00b here lol

Thanks!

Attachments

• 555_4024.jpg
    555_4024.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 743
You have pin 1 of the CD4024 shorted to ground.
The resistor from pin 3 of the 555 and pin 1 of the CD4024 is useless and can be replaced by a piece of wire.
A supply bypass capacitor is missing.

I knew the bypass cap was gonna come up :p

Hmm...okay, that's what I thought. That being so, then there are some false circuits floating around out there...deceiving poor minds like my own! Check it out...

Anyways, cool. That explains the erradic behavior. Thanks!

Attachments

• 7-Stage-binary-counter-display-with-LED-using-ic-4024.jpg
    7-Stage-binary-counter-display-with-LED-using-ic-4024.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 766
That circuit is crap! About 75% of circuits posted on the web are put up by noobs who are much better at screwing with html than they are electrical engineers.

First, Since the 4024 is a binary counter, and multiple outputs can be on at the same time, the LEDs connected to the outputs cannot share one common resistor.

Second, the push-button used to generate the clock input needs to be "de-bounced" because if connected as shown, the switch generates "glitches" (multiple spurious rapid closings/openings) which will advance the counter unpredictably.

Third, it needs a bypass capacitor across the power pins on the counter.

btw- I went and looked at about five circuits posted on that site. I found similar deficiencies with almost every one I looked at.

Last edited:
Hi,

hopefully this circuit will perform as required.

Boncuk

Attachments

• BINARY-COUNTER-SCH.gif
    BINARY-COUNTER-SCH.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 921
  • BINARY-COUNTER-BRD.gif
    BINARY-COUNTER-BRD.gif
    30.4 KB · Views: 346
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back