Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bitem2k said:
Ah, i just re-read the article, I didnt notice the word theorized:eek:

thnx

It Partly Depends on How Much Power you need to transfer and at What Distance?

But more than a few inches and Efficiency is still not very good.
Althought this is Somewhat Possible, its really Not Practical to pump 100 watts into a coil, only to recover 2 watts out.

Using Ferrites to Direct the magnetic lines of force and Resonant Circuits, You can Improve this. BUT TO WHAT DEGREE is Still a Problem.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Have you ever seen what happens to aluminium foil in a microwave oven? :D
Last time I worked as a kitchen helper, a colleague of mine did this accidentally! I can see a little fire spark on the alluminium foil, luckily I turned it off immediately.

Not much would have happend if you hadn't. It's not as dangerous as the manufactor would like you to think, at least for short periods of time (few seconds maybe 10's of seconds)

I believe a Mr Nikolai tesla demonstrated this, although the stories/evidence has been completely distorted by the frindge science community, so no-one really knows just how 'true' it is. I have seen well documented experiments from the 80's transmitting 500mW over 30 feet usiong small resonant coils with surprising efficiency. Same principles as those MIT guys, the idea of using resonance is nothing new, it hasn't changed in years, just being taken more seriously now...still I do'nt think they'll be any major advances any time soon.

Blueteeth

There's more about this sort of thing here:
http://amasci.com/tesla/tesceive.html

The problem is you need to be within the H-field (about 1/4 wavelength) to recieve a decent amount of energy. Your two coils need to be behaving like a transformer. This is becomes more impractical as the distances increases.

From memory:
Some locals in Colorado Springs claim that Tesla transmitted power from Colorado Springs to a light atop Castle Rock a distance of about 40 miles. After he finished his work in Colorado he started construction of a power transmitter tower in New York but it was never finished. It is said that Tesla wanted to give away the power and charge for the appliances. The money types wanted to sell the power.

See THE WIRELESS TRANSMISSION OF ELECTRICAL ENERGY and many other articles on the web.

I'd love to see science to back it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back