Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is this posible or is this just ********

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjvh

Hi after the delight feeling of finding finaly a pic source here in cambodia this news or message comes my way

the pic's are programed for a sertain microwave control and the comand port structure is burned in order to prevent it from being reprogramed

even when it is a flash type you will not be able to let it do different as that it is programed

i have this info from a person who claims the experiance first hand

if this is true i am back to square one and have to get everything in bangkok like always

please let me know if this is posible or if it is bull shitt

Robert-Jan

It depends which chip it is. Some chips can be effectively write protected in software. Do you have a number?

Mike.

As far as I am aware, there is no way to stop these devices being erased.

Mike.

whel that's some light in the tunnel then

which pic's is it posible to do this trick so i have to be aware of what i buy if something is offerd here

don't forget that half of the medicins in this country is either a placebo or faked
so if they do this with pic's it would not suprise me

Robert-Jan

It's only on some of the more recent 18 series chips that this is possible.

Edit, I just checked the data sheet and it doesn't appear to be possible on any pics.

Mike.

Last edited:
Pommie said:
As far as I am aware, there is no way to stop these devices being erased.

It's always been possible, you simply destroy the programming pins on the PIC - usually a high voltage is used for this, and presumably it's something you would need to experiment with?.

However, I've not heard of it been done for a great many years, there's really little need with the vastly improved security on any PIC at all 'modern'.

so it is still a real posability that that is the case with the pic's here on the local market

I am not so happy with this info but great thanks for it
before i buy pic's which i try to learn out with and everythings failes because of a corupted chip

that's a real form of torcher or is it character building
I would not that happy then

Robert-Jan

rjvh said:
so it is still a real posability that that is the case with the pic's here on the local market

You should be buying blank PIC's, not pre-programmed ones, which will presumably be a lot more expensive?.

I wouldn't say it's a 'real possibility', because it sounds totally pointless - if you're selling a PIC with a program already inside it, for a specific use, you set the protection bits - this stops anyone reading your code out of the chip, but it doesn't prevent it been erased and reprogrammed.

Some very ancient PIC's had problems with the protection system, and destroying the I/O pins was sometimes used to provide a higher level of protection, but this hasn't applied for probably 12+ years?.

rjvh:
Its possible to get a hold of pre programmed PICs. Its ******** for the seller to sell them to you. Pre programmed is not a Microchip problem its more an unscrupulous middle-man moving stolen goods type of thing.

Any PIC can be erased using X-rays - no security feature can protect against that.

I thought that PIC security was more about preventing people from reverse endingeering the stored code than write protection.

Hero999 said:
Any PIC can be erased using X-rays - no security feature can protect against that.

Lol "just scrape off the inside of your CRT TV and Remove some lead shielding... :D

thanks for all the replys
i think it's a big chance that the chips here are corupted like the person said and experianced
i live more than 7 years here now and seen a lot of scams and fake stuff

It's one of the challences here to get some decents stuff

on electronics it always comes down that you have to go to bangkok to get what you want (market is to small here and this country is a dumping ground for a lot of inferior stuff)

just what i sad before
i don't want to spend all my time and energy in this to be disapointed by a corupted chip and the little extra money i have to pay for that it's worth it

it's just inconvienient that nothing is availible here

thanks
Robert-Jan

Well, you are very close to Bangkok, so why not order from Futurlec? Many people in the West complain about their slow service, but they seem to ship to Asian Countries fairly quickly.

BeeBop said:
Well, you are very close to Bangkok, so why not order from Futurlec? Many people in the West complain about their slow service, but they seem to ship to Asian Countries fairly quickly.

it's still one day travel (13 hours) from phnom penh by land
or you have to take the plane and thats $200 for a return ticket
that's making it again very expencive

but have to find out if they have relaiable shipments to cambodia

Robert-Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back