Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this kind of circuit OK ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunb

Hi All,

I made this circuit to convert 3.3 VDC level signals from a MMC card to the 5 VDC levels of a PIC microcontroller.

The circuit works well, but I am not sure about speeds..

Is this circuit OK ??? Your comments would be useful

thanks
arunb

Attachments

• tras.JPG
    tras.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 169
arunb said:
Hi All,

I made this circuit to convert 3.3 VDC level signals from a MMC card to the 5 VDC levels of a PIC microcontroller.

The circuit works well, but I am not sure about speeds..

Is this circuit OK ??? Your comments would be useful

thanks
arunb

The base to 0V capacitor, 0.1uF, will degrade fast signals/edges, why do you think is its needed.?

arunb said:
I am not sure... but a larger value might slow down pulses from the MMC

hi,
I would recommend that you remove the 0.1uF.:)

R2 could be made larger and save a little current. It could safely be 10 times R3 or 10k ohms. For R3 equal to 10k you could also increase R1 to about 30k ohms. The general rule is to use a current gain of about 10 for bipolar transistors used as switches.

I agree with ericgibbs. I don't see any useful purpose for C1 in this application. Certainly it will limit the maximum toggle speed of the circuit to a few tens of kHz or so.

or... just use a FET that has a threshold at ~1.8V and a drain resistor to 5V where the drain is then connected to the PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back