Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this Circuit Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

I Designed a logic design circuit that up/down counts depending on the person entering or leaving the room (previous posts) , For which i require a IR LED/ Sensing Circuit. I've applied an Idea, but can i know whether it'll be able to drive the IC's.

Here's the Circuit, Simpler Circuit is Welcomed...

Untitled..png

What I would do is have just 2 IR sensors spaced out slightly (about 1 foot) then have a logic circuit that can differentiate between which one was triggered first, then that feeds into the counter to count either up or down depending on which one trips first.

Try doing this with some kind of latch that resets after a second or two, and this enable the second IR sensor to trigger a clock pulse. (ie: the one further in the room is triped first, so it allows the second to trigger a clock pulse)

It would also help if you posted the rest of your schematic. :)

What I would do is have just 2 IR sensors spaced out slightly (about 1 foot) then have a logic circuit that can differentiate between which one was triggered first, then that feeds into the counter to count either up or down depending on which one trips first.

Try doing this with some kind of latch that resets after a second or two, and this enable the second IR sensor to trigger a clock pulse. (ie: the one further in the room is triped first, so it allows the second to trigger a clock pulse)

It would also help if you posted the rest of your schematic. :)

Good idea...quite possible,
makes the design simpler , though economy is not in my mind
Any simpler circuit in designing receiver and transmitter?

A quadrature detector will do the logic for a two detector design.

Good idea...quite possible,
makes the design simpler , though economy is not in my mind
Any simpler circuit in designing receiver and transmitter?
Digi-Key - 425-2528-ND (Manufacturer - GP1UX311QS)

would replace the whole receiver side circuit and be a lot more reliable.

especially with you trying to use two at once... if you use two different frequencies you prevent them from interacting with each other.

dan

Last edited:
Actually this is not a new problem. I would start by giving this article a read. Once into that article you will come to a few suggestions, and this is one of them. Then you may want to take a look here at the 4516 data sheet and a detail of how to cascade them. The basic circuit gets you up to 15 people in a room. If you want a visual count you would decode the 4516 Q outputs to drive a display or displays. Actually if you want a simple decimal count the 4510 is likely a better choice.

You really only need two sensors spaced about 12" apart to do this and let them determine your up/down count on the 4516(s).

Ron

Last edited:
I'm afraid my circuit is not working....
I dont know what to do now.
I want Logic1 at the receiver end (OUTPUT).

So can anyone tell what i can do now using TSOP1738 and IR-LED ?
pls

You have too many threads for this project. It should have a single thread because in the other threads you were told how the TSOP IR receiver works.

1) Does the IR LED still work? Look at it on a digital camera or cell phone's camera. Its current seems to be extremely high and it or its 555 rdriver might be burned out.
2) Does the output of the TSOP1738 go low when it receives IR? If it doesn't then the IR transmitter must transmit bursts of 38kHz to increase the range as explained in the datasheet and in your other threads.
3) Don't you want to trigger the 555 when the IR beam is broken? Now it is triggered when the IR beam shines on the receiver.

okay,
i just want Logic1 / Logic 0 at the output of the IR Receiver...
I'l just post another circuit, just tell me how to get the output so/ changes i need to make...
dont want Buzzer, Just output voltages)(HIGH/LOW)

okay,
i just want Logic1 / Logic 0 at the output of the IR Receiver...
I'l just post another circuit, just tell me how to get the output so/ changes i need to make in circuit...
i dont want Buzzer, instead output voltages)(HIGH/LOW)
Circuit..jpg

Last edited:
You said you wanted an UP/DOWN COUNTER - not an UP/DOWN DETECTOR.
The simplest way to produce an up/down counter is with a microcontroller.
You get all the debouncing and identification of the person entering or leaving, via the program:
LiftCounterCct..gif
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
You said you wanted an UP/DOWN COUNTER - not an UP/DOWN DETECTOR.
The simplest way to produce an up/down counter is with a microcontroller.
You get all the debouncing and identification of the person entering or leaving, via the program:
View attachment 39899
**broken link removed**

Yes Sir, but i've not been taught about microcontroller.
I have to use and implement Logic Design concept only.
I Require Receiver and Transmitter Circuit for this.

When you put stupid titles like "in my mind" on your resume and then say "I have not been taught about microcontrollers" you are really wasting our time.

The internet is filled with microcontroller projects and a single micro is cheaper than all the chips and circuitry you're are going to use.

In fact, any school that doesn't teach microcontrollers as one of the FIRST TOPICS is not worth attending.
You can solve more problems, faster, quicker, and cheaper with a microcontroller.
That's why all my projects now revolve around a micro.

when you put stupid titles like on your resume and then say "i have not been taught about microcontrollers" you are really wasting our time.

The internet is filled with microcontroller projects and a single micro is cheaper than all the chips and circuitry you're are going to use.

In fact, any school that doesn't teach microcontrollers as one of the first topics is not worth attending.
You can solve more problems, faster, quicker, and cheaper with a microcontroller.
That's why all my projects now revolve around a micro.

:( ok............

Micro-controllers are fairly new. Most of us learned about them ourselves since they were not available and were not even dreamed about when we were in school.

You could use 2 4029s and 2 4511s to count op to 99 people esily. However, since the 4029 only has one clock input, there will need to be a way to switch it to count up or down. I have done this before, just let me make the scematic. Please tell me if you have any counters/decoders that are readely available so I can work around that. Also, try replacing your TSOP with an IR NPN photo-transistor, keep your design simple.

You could use 2 4029s and 2 4511s to count op to 99 people esily. However, since the 4029 only has one clock input, there will need to be a way to switch it to count up or down. I have done this before, just let me make the scematic. Please tell me if you have any counters/decoders that are readely available so I can work around that. Also, try replacing your TSOP with an IR NPN photo-transistor, keep your design simple.

i'm using 74193 as counter, i'm already done with the logic circuit of counter, and etc,.
My problem is in "Transmitter & Receiver".
So how can i go with Transmitter & Receiver Circuit?
I just require +Vcc( Logic1) output, when someone is in between the IRLED & Sensor(Phototransistor/TSOP). i.e.,

Thank You In Advance

If you are set on using a 74193 programmable up/down counter you can look at the attached circuit. Using discreet components this could have been done easier using a 4516 as was mentioned and was used in the people counter circuit I linked to early in this thread. However if you are set on the 74193 then I would work from the attached circuit. I would go with a photo diode or photo transistor as was also mentioned.

In the attached drawing the values of R1 and R3 were left out as their value depends on the used photo detector. The bottom line is what you feed to the 7400 gates as to logic. The drawing should help with the logic for up/down count to the 74193.

If you post a drawing of your logic maybe someone can come up with something better. Additionally I did not really check this circuit in any great depth so I suggest you do so.

I also agree with others who say this whole subject would have been better served if kept in a single thread.

Ron

Attachments

• People Count..gif
    People Count..gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 184
Nice,,, but i've already done the logic design part...
Sir, i dont want the logic part,
Please give me the idea for Receiver/Transmitter?
What i can use to sense people(Circuit).

Micro-controllers are fairly new. Most of us learned about them ourselves since they were not available and were not even dreamed about when we were in school.

But that is not the case now.
Microcontrollers are the first thing you look at when designing a circuit.
Even the $2.00 whistle keyfinder is designed around a micro and the $3.00 cell phone charger that uses a single cell to produce 5v is a 3 pin microcontroller!
Any school that doesn't teach micro's is not worth attending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back