Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this a resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2PAC Mafia

Hi guys,

I have this component:

http://www.restoretronic.com/descargas/componente BCS.jpg

My LCR meter detects it as a resistor and says it´s a resistor 127 ohm. Colours are not clear, they seem brown, white, brown, (black*) which would be 190 ohm, also could be 2K9 or 39K... The problem is about black line, I would say there is not black line tolerance in resistors, only in inductors, so when I saw it I thought it would be an inductor but no inductance detected by the meter. What do you think?

Hi tvtech,

I´m not sure because another company gave me only the component to tell them what it is. They told me it is installed on a cable of a power supply line for a waste of a yacht. So it has sense it´s like an EMI filter... I don´t have more information.

I am taking a shot in the dark here. I believe it is a resistor that has overheated and thus stuffed up the color bands identity....

How does it read on a Multimeter on resistance range (no fingers touching the probes metal parts)?

I agree, it looks like a badly overheated resistor - no way to tell the value from that (but assuming it's not changed value? - which it probably has - 127 ohms 'could' be 120 ohms).

That component looks as though it has been VERY HOT.
My guess is that it is a wire wound resistor, a carbon resistor would not have survived the heat.

Try breaking away some of the covering and see if you can see a coil of (resistance) wire inside.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back