Is this a resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2PAC Mafia

Hi guys,

I have this component:

http://www.restoretronic.com/descargas/componente BCS.jpg

My LCR meter detects it as a resistor and says it´s a resistor 127 ohm. Colours are not clear, they seem brown, white, brown, (black*) which would be 190 ohm, also could be 2K9 or 39K... The problem is about black line, I would say there is not black line tolerance in resistors, only in inductors, so when I saw it I thought it would be an inductor but no inductance detected by the meter. What do you think?

Welcome Mafia

What equipment is this out of?

Regards,
tv

Hi tvtech,

I´m not sure because another company gave me only the component to tell them what it is. They told me it is installed on a cable of a power supply line for a waste of a yacht. So it has sense it´s like an EMI filter... I don´t have more information.

I am taking a shot in the dark here. I believe it is a resistor that has overheated and thus stuffed up the color bands identity....

How does it read on a Multimeter on resistance range (no fingers touching the probes metal parts)?

I agree, it looks like a badly overheated resistor - no way to tell the value from that (but assuming it's not changed value? - which it probably has - 127 ohms 'could' be 120 ohms).

That component looks as though it has been VERY HOT.
My guess is that it is a wire wound resistor, a carbon resistor would not have survived the heat.

Try breaking away some of the covering and see if you can see a coil of (resistance) wire inside.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…