Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this a inductor or a resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregmcc

I'm trying to repair my monitor - the one color has gone. Ive traced it down to a component which was open circuit. I first thought it was a resistor but am now not too sure. If it helps any the output of the component connects to a ribbon table which connects to a small PCB which plugs into the tube.

I've measured a working one - it measures about 0.3R
I've posted a pic (the leg on the one side has snapped off when i removed it) - it looks like a resistor but the color codes are confusing me. Its yellow, violet, silver.

**broken link removed**

Thanks - I thought it might have been a resistor, but thought they all had 4 bands of colors. I'll see if my local electronics store has a 0.47R resistor I can try.

gregmcc said:
Thanks - I thought it might have been a resistor, but thought they all had 4 bands of colors. I'll see if my local electronics store has a 0.47R resistor I can try.

Usually they do, looks like no tolerance band on this one.

Just out of curiosity - how do you tell the difference between a resistor and a inductor. I've just found a pic of an inductor on a local electronics shop and it looks just like a resistor :(

Attachments

• IND147.jpg
    IND147.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 871
Hi Gregmcc,

It's a 4,7 µH inductor.

Nigel, I expect you to turn in your radio amateurs licence. :D

on1aag.

on1aag said:
Hi Gregmcc,

It's a 4,7 µH inductor.

Could be either, and it makes very little difference in either case! - just short it out to see if it's OK.

I've not been a practicing ham for years, I was G8MMV back when I used it.

Ahh - ok. Thanks. I think your right there. I just did a trace on the circuit and the component is connected in series with a 56R resistor. It wouldn't make much sense connecting a 56R to a 0.47R

Update: Shouldn't it be 0.47uH , silver is x 0.01?

Last edited:
Hi Gregmcc,

If it has a silver band it's indeed a 0,47 µH inductor.

But on the photograph it looks like a gold band.
I hope I don't have to turn in my radio amateurs licence. :D

on1aag.

on1aag said:
Hi Gregmcc,

It's a 4,7 µH inductor.

on1aag.

Oh snap Nigel!

It could also be a RF choke, Ive found those in PCBs many times when i thought they were resistors

Souper man said:
Oh snap Nigel!

It could also be a RF choke, Ive found those in PCBs many times when i thought they were resistors

When I last looked an 'RF choke' is an 'Inductor' and vice versa.

Measure the DC resistance with a multimeter, if it's that much different than its code then it's an inductor for sure.

You can make sure it's an inductor by measuring its impedance at different frequencies, an inductor's impedance will increase with the frequency whilst a resistor's imedance won't.

gregmcc said:
Just out of curiosity - how do you tell the difference between a resistor and a inductor. I've just found a pic of an inductor on a local electronics shop and it looks just like a resistor :(
Isn't the colour background the key?

I've never seen a lime green resistor before but I've seen many lime green inductors.

I suppose I am but I've never seen any charts or other information refering to the background colour so I wouldn't rely on it.

gregmcc said:
I'm trying to repair my monitor - the one color has gone. Ive traced it down to a component which was open circuit. I first thought it was a resistor but am now not too sure. If it helps any the output of the component connects to a ribbon table which connects to a small PCB which plugs into the tube.

I've measured a working one - it measures about 0.3R
I've posted a pic (the leg on the one side has snapped off when i removed it) - it looks like a resistor but the color codes are confusing me. Its yellow, violet, silver.

**broken link removed**
why not indicate the make and model number of the monitor under repair- and try sketchout a litte; diagram where the component is goingnet- on the 'neck board ' of the monitor.

if any component number is printed on the board it would help/

under all probabilities it appeaers to be a micro/nano Henry component.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back