Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this a class D amplifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russlk said:
...the human ear is very tolerant of distortion.
A good class-D amplifier has very low distortion because the oscillator operates at about 500kHz so that the sum and different frequencies can be completely removed by a simple lowpass filter.

Russlk said:
I mean, if there is music with a piccolo and guitar, those frequencies will mix in the audio range and cannot be filtered out. That is the type of test that I did.
That is called "intermodulation distortion". You can hear about 0.1% on some kinds of tones and music. A good linear or class-D amplifier has 0.03% distortion or less.
Poor amplifiers have 10% distortion or more.

Russlk said:
I mean, if there is music with a piccolo and guitar, those frequencies will mix in the audio range and cannot be filtered out. That is the type of test that I did.

That happens in ANY amplifier, not just class-D - it also happens to your ears, if you are in a room with both piccolo and guitar playing they mix together.

It's a VERY difficult thing to measure, it sounds like your old 'amplifier' was really, really bad!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back