Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this a breaking DC socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

revans

I need a 2.5mm DC female socket with a breaking contact. I found this one here: **broken link removed** but it's 2.1mm. Then I found this one here: **broken link removed** which has three terminals and looks like a breaking female socket. However it's described as a male socket.
1) Have they made a typo here and is this actually female? (I hope so...)
2) Would it be a breaking socket?

Jaycar don't know the difference between male and female. The jack in their photo is perfect for your breaking application.

1) Have they made a typo here and is this actually female? (I hope so...)
It looks like Jaycar is having gender identity issues. :eek:
2) Would it be a breaking socket?
It is described here as having that feature:
**broken link removed**
Google for AP0166 to find more sites that may sell those sockets.

I'm not so sure guys, as I see the picture it appears to me that it could very well be a male PCB connector. That's rather strange to have the male mounted to a PCB, but who knows? Anyway the picture to me looks like that could be a male pin, it's not the best drawing in the world.

I would call first and try and get conformation, otherwise it's not a good practice to order something assuming the vendor's description is in error.

Lefty

Hmm, I suppose that could be the case too, though a male chassis mount connector seems pretty odd. I suppose you're right, lefty, I should call them up.

These hermaphrodite "DC barrel connectors" can be confusing because of the pin in the middle of the "socket". Other suppliers, such as digikey, also list them as "male". I guess it depends on your point of view:
Digi-Key - SC1048-ND (Switchcraft Inc. - 712A)
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
These hermaphrodite "DC barrel connectors" can be confusing because of the pin in the middle of the "socket". Other suppliers, such as digikey, also list them as "male". I guess it depends on your point of view:
**broken link removed**

"I guess it depends on your point of view:"

True, and we do seem to live in the era of optional gender freedom of choice ;)

Our English language has a gender issue.
It is called a "jack" but maybe it should be called a "jill".
A male plug plugs into a female jill.

A banana plug is a male and it plugs into a female "jack"???

Maybe the plug is an AC/DC?:D

That looks like a male to me. The male connector is more often an board/panel mount part while the female is more often a cable mount. I also see no reason to believe that it is a breaking type. It does have 3 pins on it, but its possible that the third pin is only for stability. I would guess that it is a breaking type, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Female is on the left, male is on the right.

Attachments

• female.jpg
    female.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 138
  • male.jpg
    male.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 136
I guess it does depend on your point of view. I would call what Noggin's labelled female a male plug and would call what Noggin's labelled male female.

In reference to Noggin again:
"its possible that the third pin is only for stability"
I can see that being true if it was PCB mount, but it's meant to be chassis mount so probably not.

I guess it does depend on your point of view. I would call what Noggin's labelled female a male plug and would call what Noggin's labelled male female.

I'm just going by what Digi-Key calls male and female. I was taught as a rule of thumb to go by the center most pin of the part, not by the "bulk" of the part. Consider a DB-9 connector. The female part is the bulkier part, but it has lots of little holes in it for the male pins to be inserted. This is roughly the same thing.

But this is one example of why its better to go by technical data and drawings instead of how people describe it.

In reference to Noggin again:
I can see that being true if it was PCB mount, but it's meant to be chassis mount so probably not.

True.

I find it amusing that we'll discuss things that seem as trivial as this :)

Last edited:
No matter which part is male and what part is female, a plug plugs into a jack.

Ok, so which one is the plug and which one is the jack? They both have qualities of each :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back