Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there such a thing? an automatic potenciometer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amando96

Ok so is there such a thing? like apotenciometer that you dont have to turn the knob for it to change resistance, it does it automaticly with other resistors and capacitors... doe sit exist?
Like ermmm... starts at 10000 ohms, and the decreases gradually to 10 ohms, in a period of 15 seconds per say...

no, but there are digital pots that you can control with a micro
shame... guess i'll have to invent it! xD

what about a way that u dont need digital pots? like with transistors an PIC's

Oh just though of a way to make one...

Good question.
Why would one have a resistance that changes automatically, use a thermistor, a ldr, a transistor for petes sake. The idea of a pot (having a knob) is for a human to intervene and control it. Good luck with the invention :p

I have a Sony HI FI that I use for the computer sound system.
It has a motorized volume control. A big knob on the front panel but also a remote control.

I have a Sony HI FI that I use for the computer sound system.
It has a motorized volume control. A big knob on the front panel but also a remote control.

i though about motorizing one, but then i need motor suports and all, i cant get those...
I was planning on using a 4017, like for the LED chaser, but instead of LED's i would have diferent resistors... all conected to the same thing... all i need now is a 4017 xD

i though about motorizing one, but then i need motor suports and all, i cant get those...
I was planning on using a 4017, like for the LED chaser, but instead of LED's i would have diferent resistors... all conected to the same thing... all i need now is a 4017 xD

A 4017 is a decade counter so it only gives a binaire value (0 or 1 (value of 1 is depending on supply voltage) on its out puts

It is not able to handle audio signals

the only thing I can think of to use a 4017 in a project like this if it steers switches that handle the audio signal (4066) and switch it like the signal sees a different resistor network that change the volume out put

Robert-Jan

I made a similar system, that uses a stepper coupled to a 100 K potentiometer, its not difficult to make such a system.

I used a H bridge driver to control the stepper...its working perfectly..

thanks
aa

Use to be motorized pots, but think they were replaced with digital. Some car stereos had them.

Stereo units still have them, and they're common on mixing consoles (although usually linear rather than rotary). They can be controlled digitally.

Regards,

Torben

amando - take a look at the MC3340. It's an electronic attenuator, takes an analog input, has an analog control voltage. I think this is probably what you're looking for.

Last edited:
amando - take a look at the MC3340. It's an electronic attenuator, takes an analog input, has an analog control voltage. I think this is probably what you're looking for.

that does seem like it's what i need, but for something else...
The one i talk about on the thread is to conect to a 555 to change the frequency of the LED automaticlly, and maybe a buzzer...
It's for a Home made electric detonator :D

Example: 1 flash and beep per second, then the frequency goes Up, and boom :D
I think it goes up... i just got confused... the flash and beep hapen more than once in a second... like 10 times, and then boom xD

You can change the frequency of a 555 by changing the voltage at its pin5.
There are hundreds of other voltage-controlled-oscillator circuits. The changing voltage can be from a charging or discharging capacitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back