Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there any way to do this

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcl1233

I was wondering if it was possible to expand the speaker wire jacks or w/e there called, so that in stead of only having 2 speakers hooked up to my amp i could have 8 or something? Just wondering, please and ty, and sorry for terms and such, im a total n00b

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    366.8 KB · Views: 183
An amplifier has a minimum allowed load impedance, usually 4 ohms. Most home speakers are 8 ohms and only two in parallel are 4 ohms. More speakers in parallel will overload the amplifier and it might stop to protect itsdelf or it will blow up.

Background music in stores use a transformer at each speaker so the amplifier can drive many speakers at a low volume so they do not overload it.
Audio-video stores sell these transformers for homes.

Yes, you can have many speakers connected to your single output connectors. If the amplifier is rated for 8 Ω :

(+)----------8------------8------------(-)
(+)----------8------------8------------(-)

Or

(+)----------8------------8------------8-----------(-)

Or

(+)----------8------------8------------8------------8------------(-)

Or

(+)----------4------------4------------4------------4------------(-)
(+)----------4------------4------------4------------4------------(-)

Every "8" is one 8Ω speaker. Every "4" is a 4Ω speaker. All (+) together, all (-) together connected to the single amplifier output.
For a 4Ω rated amplifier output, similar approaches can be used. Observe polarities or weird effects will be heard.

Last edited:
I think modern speakers should never be connected in series since they rely on the extremely low output impedance of a solid-state amplifier to damp their resonances.
Remember old vacuum tube (valve) amplifiers with a high output impedance and the speakers that had built-in damping so they could be driven from them or in series like some guitar speakers? Those days are gone.
Today's speakers in series will sound "boomy" and maybe "shrieky"at their resonant frequencies because the very low output impedance of a solid state amplifier will not be able to damp their resonances.

Last edited:
I once had a large old tube amp that had a variable damping pot adjustment (apparently to accommodate various speaker types). I know that, with the speakers I had, the sound was best with the damping set at maximum.

The Bose 901 speakers are a joke. They use 9 cheap little speakers then the equalizer severely boosts the missing bass and the missing highs.
The response curve of the equalizer is a "happy face".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back