Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there an "inverse" to the ULN2803A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpi0t0s

OK, that's not a very clear subject. The ULN2803A has 8 inputs to the base and 8 open collector outputs, with the emitters tied together and grounded.

What I'm wondering is if there is something similar with 8 base inputs and 8 *emitter* outputs, with the collectors tied together and connected to the positive rail.

I've made an 8-digit 14-segment display; it works a treat, but uses 8 discrete transistors for selecting the individual display. So I thought it might be neater to use a driver chip. Actually it just occurs to me that a 3-8 multiplexer would do the trick and also reduce the port pins needed from 8 to 3, but in any case I'd still like to know if such a device exists.

Project photo attached. No circuit diagram available, brief explanation: PORTA 0-3 and PORTB 0-3 select the individual display via the transistors, the display outputs are tied together and routed through a resistor array and 2 ULN2803A's, and PORTC 0-7 and PORTD 0-6 control the segments.

Attachments

• PC020003 - Copy.JPG
    PC020003 - Copy.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 234
OK, that's not a very clear subject. The ULN2803A has 8 inputs to the base and 8 open collector outputs, with the emitters tied together and grounded.

What I'm wondering is if there is something similar with 8 base inputs and 8 *emitter* outputs, with the collectors tied together and connected to the positive rail.

I've made an 8-digit 14-segment display; it works a treat, but uses 8 discrete transistors for selecting the individual display. So I thought it might be neater to use a driver chip. Actually it just occurs to me that a 3-8 multiplexer would do the trick and also reduce the port pins needed from 8 to 3, but in any case I'd still like to know if such a device exists.

Project photo attached. No circuit diagram available, brief explanation: PORTA 0-3 and PORTB 0-3 select the individual display via the transistors, the display outputs are tied together and routed through a resistor array and 2 ULN2803A's, and PORTC 0-7 and PORTD 0-6 control the segments.

hi,
Look thru this datasheet.

Attachments

• UDN2981.pdf
    141.9 KB · Views: 309
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back