Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there an alternative to core bead and ferrite ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaderosita2001

My group and I are making the a research study about Powerline Communication and part of the schematic for the energy metering design has a bead core and a ferrite. We based the design from Microchip's MCP3905A/06A
Energy Meter Reference Design and in the design list it says the component needed are BEAD CORE SINGLE 3.5X9MM
AXIAL and FERRITE 300MA 150 OHM 1806 SMD. It also says that the bead core has a frequency of 100MHz and a resistance of 110Ohms while the ferrite has a current of 300mA and a resistance of 150Ohms. We are having problems acquiring these components. Is it possible to just make one ourselves because in the schematic it looks like a simple inductor?

You should be able to, you just need to match the impedance at it's cutoff frequency without attenuating the lower frequencies as well, beads and ferrite cores are used because that's generally the simplest way to do it. You could try cores of similar size that you do have available and compare their specs.

How can i match the impedance and the cutoff frequency? Is this the formula we should use (XL =2*pi*f*L) so that we can get the value of the inductor?

Last edited:
Hi,

Can you post a schematic so we can take a look?

Hi there,

It doesnt look like these inductors are critical sizes so possibly other sizes would work too, but they did
work out all the details already so the best bet is to try to get the right part numbers. Digikey seems
to have several of these beads for sale, although i dont know what kind of quantities you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back