Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is there a power transistor equivalent to a 2n2222??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots.

Google "2N2222 datasheet".

Look at the specs and match those up with a "NPN Power transistor" google search for the one that suits your power needs.

Last edited:
Title says it all
Not for me. The 2N2222 is not a power transistor.
Are you looking for a power transistor that is not like a 2N2222.
Maybe you think a 2N2222 is a power transistor.
A 2N3055 is a very common power transistor used by hobby people. (like a 2N2222 and a LM555 IC)

The answer to the question as asked is...

NO

The 2N2222 is a SMALL SIGNAL transistor, so by definition it is not a POWER transistor.

Are you looking for an equivalent transistor?
or
Are you trying to make a simple substitution the get more power out of something?

Tell us what you are trying to do and maybe we can be more helpful.

JimB

Looks like Ron just beat me to it!

Last edited:
thanks

Ok, I guess I didnt really explain very well. I realise that the 2n2222 is a small signal transistor, that is relatively low power, but I would like a circuit that uses one to switch LEDs to switch much higher current...so I was hoping there was a power transistor that worked like the 2n2222, but will sink more current.
I thi nk I did get an answer tho in a earlier post...a 3906

Ok, I guess I didnt really explain very well. I realise that the 2n2222 is a small signal transistor, that is relatively low power, but I would like a circuit that uses one to switch LEDs to switch much higher current...so I was hoping there was a power transistor that worked like the 2n2222, but will sink more current.

The 3906 is also small-signal, and I think can only switch 100mA (same as the 2n2222). Also, the 2222 is NPN, the 3906 is PNP. The 3904 is the equivalent NPN version of the 3906.

Anyway, all you need is an NPN transistor that can handle more current. The TIP3055 is one you might try. I believe it is rated for 15 amps. I've used it on several occasions. It's very different from the 2222 though. I guess I'm still not really sure what you're asking for, but from what I gather, this is the transistor you need.

Tah dah

thanks ...the 3055 seems to be a good choice, now that I compare the specs...I do really appreciate everyones help.

I have another post on capacitance as well if anyone wants to take a stab at it

Thanks again for your valuable help and time:D

A TIP3055 is a 2N3055 power transistor in a smaller case.
Their max current is 15A but they perform poorly above 5A or 10A.
At 400mA their typical current gain is 200 as an amplifier but is 10 when used as a switch.
At 10A their minimum current gain is 3 when used as a switch and they conduct better with even more base current.

You should use a Mosfet to conduct a high current as a switch. It needs no input current.

You should use a Mosfet to conduct a high current as a switch. It needs no input current.

I agree with the MOSFET idea. They are usually much better for high-power switching. However, I just need to say that they don't require no input current; just very little.

I have another post on capacitance as well if anyone wants to take a stab at it

If your'e referring to your Tesla coil post, you'll find a reply there from me.

Regards

The gate-source of a Mosfet is a capacitor that conducts NO current when used as a slow on-off switch. But it has a high capacitance that draws current to charge it and discharge it when it is switched on and off quickly. At 4900Hz its input will draw a small current.

I recall the 2N3725 was a pretty beefy driver transistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back