Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there a 50v DC replacement for a LM317

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icadj

Can anyone tell me if there is a direct replacement for the LM317 i.e. same pin configuration that will handle 50v DC that is still controllable.

Cheers Steve

Can anyone tell me if there is a direct replacement for the LM317 i.e. same pin configuration that will handle 50v DC that is still controllable.

Cheers Steve

The LM317-HV can handle up to 60V. Note that since the LM317 is a floating regulator, it is only the differential voltage (output-input) that matters; is the LM317 out of specs in your circuit?

Hi there
No sure which version I have but it gets very very hot when used. Yes it does have a heatsink, quite a large one, the box that the transformer is in
Input volage 47.6 DC after bridge rec and set to 9.01v DC
Unsure (at this time) what the current draw is of the circuit that I am using it on

Yes, you're going to dissipate a TON of power by dropping the voltage 38.6V. A higher voltage regulator won't help that. What you need to do is lower the input voltage. Get a different transformer, or just deal with the heat.

Hi there
No sure which version I have but it gets very very hot when used. Yes it does have a heatsink, quite a large one, the box that the transformer is in
Input volage 47.6 DC after bridge rec and set to 9.01v DC
Unsure (at this time) what the current draw is of the circuit that I am using it on

So, 47.6-9 < 40 V and the standard LM317 can be used. Changing it with the HV version makes no improvement as far as heat is concerned - as already mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back