Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is the apparent power calculation in this text WRONG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powersys

The attached example was scanned from a textbook. I tried to calculate S1 but the answer I got was different from the one shown in text. Could someone please help me to verify whether the solution provided in the text is CORRECT or WRONG?

My calculation:

I
= (V1 - V2) / Z
= (240 - 208 - j120) / j10
= -12-j3.2

S1
= V1 x (-I*)
= 240 x (12-j3.2)
= 2880-j768

S2
= V2 x (I*)
= (208+j120) X (-12+j3.2)
= -2880-j774.4

**broken link removed**

Russlk said:
The only error I see in your calculation is: j squared = -1 so the current is +12-j3.2.

I calculated the i using CASIO fx-570W. Pls advise where is "j squared" in your last message from? Thanks.

Russlk said:
j is the representation of (-1)^.5, an impossible math function, therefore called "imaginary". It is used to represent a 90 degree phase relation.
Do you think the steps and calculation shown in the text (attached image in my first post) are CORRECT? Pls advise. Thanks.

In the text, the current is wrong; it should be +12-j3.2. Because of the current error, the value for S2 has the wrong sign but the numbers are correct. The value for S1 is wrong, I don't know how it was calculated.

Your calculation for S1 is correct. In the calculation for S2, you used (-12+j3.2) for the current which is not correct, otherwise you would have got the correct result.

In the text, the author add a '-' sign in front of I for the calculation of S1. Why did the author do so? Thanks.

Russlk said:
In the text, the current is wrong; it should be +12-j3.2. Because of the current error, the value for S2 has the wrong sign but the numbers are correct. The value for S1 is wrong, I don't know how it was calculated.

Your calculation for S1 is correct. In the calculation for S2, you used (-12+j3.2) for the current which is not correct, otherwise you would have got the correct result.

Russlk said:
j is the representation of (-1)^.5, an impossible math function, therefore called "imaginary". It is used to represent a 90 degree phase relation.

Actually j is not an impossible math function. It is possible to calculate the nth roots of unity (and nth roots of -1 if you wish). Its actually very interesting how sqrt(-1) falls out of the math.

_3iMaJ said:
Russlk said:

Actually j is not an impossible math function. It is possible to calculate the nth roots of unity (and nth roots of -1 if you wish). Its actually very interesting how sqrt(-1) falls out of the math.

In that case perhaps you would care to show us the answer?.

I was certainly always taught that it's an impossible function, and the technique in using it was to have two of them that cancelled out (mind you, I'm going back a LONG time).

Still, I'll be interested to see how you can multiply two identical numbers together and get a negative result!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back