Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is that a phone or a fishing pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

Awhile back, I made a trip back to Manila RP to visit a family that became my god family some long time ago. Anyways I was into scuba diving so I asked my adopted dad to take me out on his bonka boat for a little diving.

While I was down in Davy Jones locker, my Goddad was fishing. Not with a net, not with a pole, but with an old military telephone; the kind you have to crank. I guess the phone puts out the ringing volts and he would just dangle wires in the water. Much to my surprize he caught a few... Go figure...

BTW, we had fish that night :)

While I was down in Davy Jones locker, my Goddad was fishing. Not with a net, not with a pole, but with an old military telephone; the kind you have to crank. I guess the phone puts out the ringing volts and he would just dangle wires in the water. Much to my surprize he caught a few... Go figure...

BTW, we had fish that night :)

Hi Mike,

I guess fish don't like high voltage very much. The old military field telephones used the crank to make the miles away "Ackerschnacker" ring. Their output voltage is somewhere between 200 and 1,000V, depending on the speed you achieve operating the crank.

This "fishing technique" is also very widespread in Thailand, although prohibited. :D

Hans

Electro-shocking is a favored sampling technique of fisheries biologists when performing creel samples on small bodies of waters.

The fish are only momentarily stunned and come to the top to be weighed, measured and tagged if required. They quickly recover, and no harm is done to the fisheries environment.

This method also has a side effect of attracting sharks as the ampullae of lorenzini organ of the shark detects electric fields...

It also works for extracting worms from the soil, needed for fishing. Insert two metal coat hangars or similar wired to 120vAC and placed a few feet apart and you'll have juicy nightcrawlers poking through the soil in no time. Us hicks would know such things.

You could market that. Call it Crank-n-Bait... lol :)

There's probably some lunatic insect's rights organization lurking here ready to report me for disseminating info. on torturing earthworms via electrocution.:p

This method also has a side effect of attracting sharks as the ampullae of lorenzini organ of the shark detects electric fields...

I can't imagine how detecting electric fields could have evolved at all, in any lifeform.
Maybe to find electric eels?

So you'd think they'd put magnetos in lifeboats in order to attract food for its occupants. Maybe they do. . .?

Last edited:
I can't imagine how detecting electric fields could have evolved at all, in any lifeform.
Maybe to find electric eels?

So you'd think they'd put magnetos in lifeboats in order to attract food for its occupants. Maybe they do. . .?

Allow me to quote Wiki...

The ampullae detect electric fields in the water, or more precisely the difference between the voltage at the skin pore and the voltage at the base of the electroreceptor cells. A positive pore stimulus would decrease the rate of nerve activity coming from the electroreceptor cells and a negative pore stimulus would increase the rate of nerve activity coming from the electroreceptor cells.
Sharks may be more sensitive to electric fields than any other animal, with a threshold of sensitivity as low as 5 nV/cm. That is 5/1,000,000,000 of a volt measured in a centimeter-long ampulla. Since all living creatures produce an electrical field in muscle contractions, it is easy to imagine the shark may pick up weak electrical stimuli from the muscle contractions of animals, particularly prey. On the other hand, the electrochemical fields generated by paralyzed prey were sufficient to elicit a feeding attack from sharks and rays in experimental tanks, therefore muscle contractions are not necessary to attract the animals. Shark and rays can locate prey buried in the sand, or DC electric dipoles simulating the main feature of the electric field of a prey buried in the sand.
The electric fields produced by oceanic currents moving in the magnetic field of the earth are of the same order of magnitude as the electric fields that sharks and rays are capable of sensing. Therefore, sharks and rays may orient to the electric fields of oceanic currents, and use other sources of electric fields in the ocean for local orientation. Additionally, the electric field they induce in their bodies when swimming in the magnetic field of the earth may enable them to sense their magnetic heading.

Pretty cool huh?

Pretty cool huh?

I think I'll stay out of the water, or wear a tinfoil bathing suit.
So then, electrically conductive wetsuits should make divers less detectible to sharks.

In martial arts "lethal intent" is supposed to be detectible by trained fighters. I'm wondering if this is from airborne electric fields, subconsciously detected.
The original Seven Samurai film had a guy who could do this. Most fighters in the movie responded to a simulated attack, but one guy wouldn't even go near where the ambush was waiting, even though he consciously intended to, at first.

Last edited:
Ah, that explains the samurai shark :)

I once visited the Scripps Birch Aquarium. They have this giant aquarium tank where a diver gets in the water and feeds the fish. The diver wears a wireless mic inside the mask which enables the diver to explain things to the audience.
While the diver is talking, little sharks keep hitting their face into the divers mask. The diver explained that the sharks are attracted by the electricity in the wireless mic.
Mother nature sure is clever.

Last edited:
I have no idea, but I do know high powered sonar pulses piss off dolphins, (Although dolphins are mammals).

When I was in the Navy, our ship was directed to use passive and low power active sonar while in California waters. 50 miles out the pings would begin. Seems as though deep sea dolphins don't mind 1 KW audio pulses. And that last statement was sarcasm. Not sure about the 1KW number either, that was classified...lol

I have no idea, but I do know high powered sonar pulses piss off dolphins, (Although dolphins are mammals).

When I was in the Navy, our ship was directed to use passive and low power active sonar while in California waters. 50 miles out the pings would begin. Seems as though deep sea dolphins don't mind 1 KW audio pulses. And that last statement was sarcasm. Not sure about the 1KW number either, that was classified...lol
If fish also have ears we're onto something.

I have often been intrigued by the vast diversity of sea life. In fact, the Humboldt squid is very facinating as it has the ability to change colors on the fly deep in the depths of Davy Jones Locker. A thought once occured to me that such an ability might be a form of communication as it has been observed that one squid may flash white pink white and another squid would seem to respond with a variation of this.

I wrote down my thoughts on this once but never shared them as I was afraid one might think I am nuts. But what the heck, a few beers later and I feel like sharing... :)

Read my crazy theory...

Attachments

• Asynchronous Serial Data Communication of the Humboldt Squ….pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 299
I have often been intrigued by the vast diversity of sea life. In fact, the Humboldt squid is very facinating as it has the ability to change colors on the fly deep in the depths of Davy Jones Locker. A thought once occured to me that such an ability might be a form of communication as it has been observed that one squid may flash white pink white and another squid would seem to respond with a variation of this.

I wrote down my thoughts on this once but never shared them as I was afraid one might think I am nuts. But what the heck, a few beers later and I feel like sharing... :)

Read my crazy theory...

Hi Mike,

Neat idea. I like the paper and I think it's possible that the colour changes could indeed be a form of communication. I don't know that I'm convinced that they use a serial protocol but I get your point about how it might be workable.

Torben

Thanks Big T. I am sure it is not like RS-232, but I would think it would have to be serial of some sort as only 1 bit could be conveyed at one instance, Gray/Pink.

You have another thought? I would like to hear any ideas on this. If I ever get out of grad school I might do a thesis on this :)

oops...I mean undergrad.

Last edited:
Thanks Big T. I am sure it is not like RS-232, but I would think it would have to be serial of some sort as only 1 bit could be conveyed at one instance, Gray/Pink.

You have another thought? I would like to hear any ideas on this. If I ever get out of grad school I might do a thesis on this :)

oops...I mean undergrad.

When you put it that way then yeah--it obviously isn't a parallel protocol. :)

I wonder how human speech would be classified. I'd consider it serial at its base when written, but given that intonation and body language play a part simultaneously, I wonder if that qualifies spoken language as parallel to some degree.

I have no idea what computational linguistics types would make of this. :)

Torben

The tricky part would be observing and testing as the Humboldt seem to not change colors in captivity. Interesting ya think?
What a way to spend grad school years though, diving in the Sea of Cortez...

Last edited:
The tricky part would be observing and testing as the Humboldt seem to not change colors in captivity. Interesting ya think?

Very interesting. . .makes me wonder if there isn't almost a kind of hive thing going on, where they only go into communication mode when there is some required number of other nearby squid. Or perhaps the communication is more neuronal in nature, where the states of several nearby squid would need to be taken together to represent a data unit.

What a way to spend grad school years though, diving in the Sea of Cortez...

. . .getting attacked by Red Devils. ;) I can think of worse. *sigh* I've got a lot to get off my plate before I can look to being an undergrad again though. :)

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back