Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is mini USB keyboard possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yenice

I was looking for a small and light keyboard to use with my small palmtop computer. Regular USB keyboards are very heavy and big to fit in my purse. I found the keyboard in the second hand market for which the pictures are given below. I do not know with which device this item was used. But looking at the keys, I guess it was a databank type or something like a PDA.

Top view:
Imageshack - cimg2036n.jpg

Bottom view:
Imageshack - cimg2037x.jpg

Folded:
Imageshack - cimg2038i.jpg

PCB full
**broken link removed**

There are three cables going to a small 3 piece plug, smaller then the regular earphone plug. Same size plug I have seen being used in old Casio databanks for data backup, to connect to old serial rs232 ports of PCs but I do not know if this one is the same usage or not.

GROUND: Black
SERIAL: Red
VCC: white

My questions:
1) How can I test if this keyboard is in working condition or not?
2) If it is working how can I make sure what kind of signal system it uses?

In order to be any use to me, I need to make this keyboard a ps/2 or USB keyboard. If it can be made to send ps/2 signals, I can buy a ps/2 to USB adaptor and use it. In the end, I will need to have a mini USB plug to use it with my palm top computer.

I do not understand much about electronics, but I am able to do fine soldering work. I happen to own a multimeter but I do not own an oscilloscop. Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back