Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it worth getting a design layout program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antknee

I am thinking about getting Eagle, it is relatively cheap ($125) but I'm not sure if it is worth the effort. I would probably only be making a few boards up and I reckon I could do it by hand. I might end up taking ages to learn it for minimal benefit.

What do you think?

And are there better programs?

I've been noticing other threads about this lately. Eagle seems to have a good reputation. I haven't used a layout program because my stuff is so small and far between that it's not a profit for me to learn such a program.

Other helpers, please chime in, just in case my memory is faulty.

I believe Eagle has a free, limited version of their software, which you might try.

Companies such as PCB123 also offer free layout software that's probably easier to use than Eagle, but unless you fabricate your own, you have to buy the boards from them (their prices do seem competitive however).

What's wrong with Eagle lite? If you start pushing past the trial version break the board up into subsections. If you get to the point where you truly require the larger board sizes and layers then consider buying Eagle.

Last edited:
I found the discussion at Allaboutcircuits/chat. Go there now to see the discussion while it's still on the first page.

I agree with 3v0, if you just really want to do this with software Eagle lite is great, and payed it's probably worth it, if it will save you time or money somehow. You can do TONS of stuff with simple resist pens and stickers.

Eagle isn't cheap it's affordable. Anyone that thinks 125 dollars is cheap needs a lesson in the economics of the middle class =)

I give my vote to eagle. If you search "Eagle tutorial" into youtube, you will find a ten or eleven part series going over alot of the main features of Eagle. After watching the series, I was able to make very nice, and professional looking boards.

Mike

I just installed Eagle as freeware. First impressions are positive. It reminds me of LTspice so I'm hoping it has a similar difficulty level and I can get to grips with it in a few evenings. Thanks for all the input.

I've worked with Eagle from very first edition 1.0 in the year of 1980. It steadily improved until version 4.16.

Thereafter only small improvements were made sacrificing other nice features like being able to select "Grid last". With the grid last feature you can switch between two grid sizes always calling for "last", enabling you to use half grid size (or any other selected) in the schematic editor as well as in the layout editor.

Setting junction dots automatically in a schematic is not a great advantage if you know what to do. :)

The autorouter's algorithms have not changed much over all those years, and it tends to "surround" itself. I use it only if I want to find a possible route of one left over trace for a single layer board.

Play a bit around with Eagle and you'll find it very useful.

125US$ for the non-profit version is as much as wasting money. The max board size will be 160X100mm, limited to two layers.

I paid 1,800€ for Eagle professional 3.55 capable of 16 layers, unrestricted sheet numbers in the schematic editor and 800X800mm maximum board size, of which I have used 420X320mm so far.

Boncuk

Boncuk summed it all up very well. And he has been using it from since Version 1 in 1980.

Eagle is my and our Companies friend. Great PCB design software. Love it.

Cheers

I am making up my first eagle schematic at the moment, a board will follow. It is a useful tool and I'm impressed.

Where can I find a range of libraries? It doesn't look like I have a 555 timer and a few other parts.

Also just how much will the program automate functions for me? In essence I want the board to be as small as possible. So does it have some kind of auto shrink?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I am quite sure the 555 is there. The problem is knowing where it is. That is where having a forum like this is a great help. I do not use 555's but I am quite sure another member who does will soon provide the answer.

Board layout is a very manual process. I start with the parts a comfortable distance apart and then move them in as possible after all the traces. Unless you are doing a production run small boards are not all that great. Harder to populate and debug. But small is a relative thing.

open circuits has a lot of links to EAGLE libs and tutorials, etc:
**broken link removed**

If you keep on working with it, at some point you will be making your own part libraries...

I have found the 555 now, it was under Linear. My circuit is currently on 2 stripboards and a breadboard, it works but couldn't get much bigger. My device is portable and pocket sized so I'd like it shrunk onto one small board but it doesn't have to be tiny. I won't be changing components to shrink size but jumper wires and a lot of double handed routing can be dispensed with. I will etch it myself, it may take a few tries to get that right but I won't have a production run.

Thanks for the link I'll take a look now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back