Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it usually OK to use a wall-wart instead of batteries with the same voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeg

For reasons which I won't go into here, I'd like to wire this LED flashlight to use a 3V wall-wart instead of a 3V CR123A cell. Other than using a PSU with a high enough current rating (say 800mA) are there any issues with doing this?

Is replacing a battery with a wall-wart generally OK? (Provided I use the correct voltage.)

Unloaded wall 'frmrs have voltages up to or exceeding +25% higher than rated, because of poor regulation.

If you can't get 800 mA @ your desired voltage, go slightly higher and use a dropping resistor. LEDs like current sources more than they like voltage sources.

For more precision in your calculation, find the internal impedance of these cells.

Last edited:
A 6 watt LED on a CR123A Cell !!

Interesting they claim 5 hours.

You will need these: https://www.batteryjunction.com/rayovac-cr123a-100-box.html ;)

CR123A is worth about 4.5 to 5.5 watt-Hrs. so if LED is 6 watts would last less then an hour. Probably operating LED at less then a watt. It would also get quite warm if run at 6 watts. Supply current is likely in 330 to 400 mA range.

Also a Luxeon LED operates at a higher voltage then a single LiIon cell can provide. They must have a voltage booster / current source supply.

The switcher boost circuitry will likely be okay with up to 5v, maybe 6vdc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back