Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is it possible to generate gps signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkmadsci

Would it be possible to generate gps signals that could fool a cell phone. I am tired of my boss tracking me down. i would like to build a gps where i could dial in my own coordinates and have this box send a small output to trick my phone to think that i am working.

YOu could but then you'd have bigger problems like the military, airports officials, and the FCC (or whatever it is called in the US) hunting you down.

Just stick your phone in a shielded metal box. BUt from the nature of your question I think your boss's concerns are valid.

Last edited:
jkmadsci said:
Would it be possible to generate gps signals that could fool a cell phone. I am tired of my boss tracking me down. i would like to build a gps where i could dial in my own coordinates and have this box send a small output to trick my phone to think that i am working.
Yes it is possible. I think it would cost more than your job is worth. My estimate would be in the neighborhood of 1.75 Megabucks

This is from April 2007, same thread... Why don't you tell us what sort of job you want to hide from. Tony Soprano?
jkmadsci said:
I thought this would be obvious, however it is disapointing to see stupid responses. I know that there are many ways to block the gps signals. Obvioulsy that is NOT what I want to do. I am looking for help to trick the phone into being somewhere else.

And just in case one of you brain surgeons suggests to put the phone on a city bus, thanx anyways. My apologies to all the helpfull posters.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
There is another way to do this... Hack the phone to send back GPS coordinates of your choosing. Could be a software only hack.

It would be far from easy unless you had the source code for the phone and a development setup to go with it.

I have mixed feelings about usiing GPS to track employees.

Better yet. Vote with you feet. Change jobs.

Just pay a kid to take the phone to where your supposed to be. Or, just take it there yourself, run to your other appointment, spend the 2 minutes doing your other business and then run back and pickup the phone. Your happy, your boss is happy, the only looser is her that wanted more than 2 minutes.:D :D

Mike.

What a bunch of comedians. Now I am a {dog,slacker,mobster and an idiot}
I actually thought someone might be familiar with the system to give me a few hints. if i cant transmit my own coordinates, maybe i can break the signal from the gps chip to the MCU and supply my own data.
I am sorry for not being as SMART and HONEST as some of you kings.

worthless .

Its actually pretty simple. I have a boss that is similiar to electricity. He follows the path of least resistence. If he hires a person that is slow, he puts extra work on the people that can fix quickly. I see no reason to put out more then DOUBLE what my coworkers do.

Anotherwords just because i can end my day at 2:00 there is no reason for me to do some other persons work.

Please, i beg ,no more silly responses. SOMEWHERE THERE IS A LINK BETWEEN THE GPS CHIP AND THE MCU. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE JUST SAY SO

Probably no room inside the phone for such a modification, plus phone manufactures don't publish their schematics and they are definately not user serviceable. What phone is it? A Blackberry? Trio?

I am just preparing for the worst. My current phone dosent have tracking software, but my next phone probably will. there is no good reason why i wont be able to cut 1 pin or trace and run some small wire outside the phone to a plug. Most gps's have a serial line out with data. All I need to do is find that wire and inject my own data stream.

The built in GPS may or may not use NMEA sentences, it may even use custom built ICs with zero information available about them available.
Either way it's a major project. You'll need some mad skills to pull it off. Plus you'll void the phones warranty and will most likely kill the phone while prodding around inside it.

GPS Transmitters work in the 1.577 GHz band. They do not transmit the kind of data you are thinking about. RF design and development of four GPS signal generators is not something for the faint of heart. Why four? Because a GPS receiver locks on to the signals from four differnet satellites, and measures the phase differences in the arrival time of the four signals.

To intercept a serial data stream and retransmit it is easy, if you know the data format and have a processor that can handle the data rate. Again finding that pin will be a challenge. Next thing to worry about is turning your phone into a brick as you try to cut traces and add wires, I hope you have a really big microscope and a very steady hand.

I think it will be much simpler to take one of the other suggestions which you dismiss as frivolous. They have the advantage of being effective with little or no effort. Just because a thing can be done does not mean it will be practical to do it.

Also have you considered the ramifications of entering mistaken coordinates and revealing the posession of the technology? The first rule of intelligence is not to let the other side know what you know or what capabilities you have. Think about it before spouting off at other members.

Yeah -- what Bill said

I would just suggest getting a second cell phone... :rolleyes: or you could actually do what you are supposed to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back