Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is it possible to charge a capacitor in a microwave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coilgunner

i saw a light bulb in a microwave once and thought that the megatron was suppling current to the bulb. Now i had the thought of charging a capacitor in a microwave by inserting the positive leg attached to a wire in the microwave and charge the capacitor. Am i crazy?????:D

yes.
Remember to rotate half way through. Let stand for 2 minutes before eating.

If you make a wire loop and add a rectifier, it's thoeretically possible, but more than likely the capacitor will heat up and explode if it's a electrolytic. Maybe a simple disc cap would work. I assume no liability for this post.

i appriciate your interest in experiments, you need a voltage source to charge a capacitor, in microwave the form of energy is an electro megnetic wave. you can make a tiny coil with a rectifier in a box and connect it to the capacitor, then bake both of them together you may get some charge with hot cap :p (do some calculation before, not to explode your cap by high voltage)

I have a commercially made "microwave oven tester" for microrwave oven repairmen which is a little clear plastic doodad with a LED and some short antenna wires.

You put it in the microwave oven and it lights up if the magetron is making microwaves. It's pretty old, I'm guessing 1980's vintage. If if I find it in my junk sometime I will post a photo.

I have a commercially made "microwave oven tester" for microrwave oven repairmen which is a little clear plastic doodad with a LED and some short antenna wires.

You put it in the microwave oven and it lights up if the magetron is making microwaves. It's pretty old, I'm guessing 1980's vintage. If if I find it in my junk sometime I will post a photo.

A fluorescent tube will light up in a microwave too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back