Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is it possible... LiPo Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

faust400

Stupid ? But... Is it possible to build a lipo batt that is roughly equivalent to a deep cell marine batt? I need something much lighter yet still having the available power over a long period and ability to be charged by my solar.

It's possible to built a LiPo battery with a similar voltage and capacity to a SLA but it won't be a drop in replacement. You'll need to use a special charger and battery protection to stop it from getting overdischarged.

where are you going to get useable quantities of Polonium? Po is made in a cyclotron. this would be an expensive battery

actually, if you had access to it, some isotopes are such vigorous alpha emitters, that you could make a power source from the Po by itself (1 gram of 210Po generates 140 watts of heat)

Last edited:
Stupid ? But... Is it possible to build a lipo batt that is roughly equivalent to a deep cell marine batt? I need something much lighter yet still having the available power over a long period and ability to be charged by my solar.
Seems I have to say this over and over:

LiFePO4s (Lithium Iron Phosphate - NOT polymer) CAN be charged with normal SLA charges as long as they do NOT float charge!

Dan

ok, my mistake...

ok, my mistake...
np... actually LiFePo4s easily outperform marine SLAs.

SLAs get 400-500 cycles under the best of conditions and 1/2 capacity at "high" drain

LiFePO4s get 2000-3000+ cycles at only 20% hit for high drain applications...

this combined with 1/10th the weight in a electromotive app (motor cycle or car) you can get similar/better performance (range/cycle life) for around the same price. (converting a $2500 400lb electric scooter from SLA to LiFPO4 drops it to 200lb combined with the lack of high drain hit means you typically need around half the AHr rating)

Dan

np... actually LiFePo4s easily outperform marine SLAs.

SLAs get 400-500 cycles under the best of conditions and 1/2 capacity at "high" drain

LiFePO4s get 2000-3000+ cycles at only 20% hit for high drain applications...

this combined with 1/10th the weight in a electromotive app (motor cycle or car) you can get similar/better performance (range/cycle life) for around the same price. (converting a $2500 400lb electric scooter from SLA to LiFPO4 drops it to 200lb combined with the lack of high drain hit means you typically need around half the AHr rating)

Dan

big difference between Po (Polonium) and PO4 (Phosphate):D

One of the Isotopes of Po is Po-210 which was used to poison the defected Russian spy.
Really bad stuff.
Steve Fowler Investigates - russian spy poisoned radioactive element polonium 210

yeah, i was reading about that... nasty stuff and difficult to detect once it's in your system, and a few micrograms is a fatal dose. but when they do figure out somebody's been poisoned with it, it's easy to follow the trail back to the killer.

the fact that it's self heating and spalling caused by it's vigorous radioactive decay causes it to evaporate into the air at temperatures far below it's melting point, makes it very dangerous to work with.

Last edited:
Seems I have to say this over and over:
LiFePO4s (Lithium Iron Phosphate - NOT polymer) CAN be charged with normal SLA charges as long as they do NOT float charge!
Dan

Perhaps you are not reading the posts ! The OP said LiPo battery which is Lithium Polymer not a LFP battery which is Lithium Iron Phosphate
Correct me if I am wrong

Perhaps you are not reading the posts ! The OP said LiPo battery which is Lithium Polymer not a LFP battery which is Lithium Iron Phosphate
Correct me if I am wrong

1. He was offering a working alternative.
2. You bumped this post from last year just for this remark? Seriously?

I will bump any post that seems wrong to me , age is of no interest as the accuracy of posts I believe to be the more serious matter.
I see your point now and it did not read like that on first perusal , so at least I have clarified it . It is ambiguous

Last edited:
I will bump any post that seems wrong to me , age is of no interest as the accuracy of posts I believe to be the more serious matter.
I see your point now and it did not read like that on first perusal , so at least I have clarified it . It is ambiguous

sorry for the ambiguity. It arises from the recurring theme around here. Everyone wants to use the advantages of a radically different and inherently dangerous battery (LiPo) in place of a benign one (SLA).

LiPO4s can be used in those systems with minimal modifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back