Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible for microcontroller to read Audio data (tags)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmeenoi

Hello,
This is my first thread, so I apologize if there is anything wrong with it. ^^

As mentioned in the subject, I'm wondering if there is a way to apply the Microcontrollers with audio data like ID3 tags for MP3 or properties of Apple Lossless File?
The case is that I currently own two amplifiers, one of them is great for pop music while the other is great for rock music. Therefore, I'm looking for a way to automatically switch the output channel to match the genre of the song.

I tried looking on the internet but there is no such topic being discusses. If there is already a thread about this issue, I apologize for re-posting it.

Thank you very much

If the microcontroller can read the MP3 file, it certainly can decode ID3 from inside the file. You can find ID3 format description at **broken link removed**

Welcome to ETO, Hmeenoi!

I feel I should add that extracting the metadata (ID3) is not easy. There's a lot of parsing needed and that makes for some rather complex code.

At least it is complex to me.

Which ucontroller are you thinking of using?

Thank you Northguy and cowboybob
I am not sure if I clearly describe my aim back up there. Maybe a flow chart might help.

Please kindly check the attached image and let me know what you guys think.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Thanks again

The "device" you are making looks at analog audio. Is that right?
The audio is in digital format (MP3) while it is in the PC, but it is in analog format by the time it hits the "device".
upload_2014-6-23_7-35-45.png

The ID3 information exists on "Playback Device". You will need to do some modification to the "Playback Device" to make it pass to your device.

All the data you're looking for in contained in the directory area of the storage device (SD, hard drive, whatever) for that MP3 file (like any digital file, i.e., name - but with the additional metadata of the group name, genre, even a picture, etc.)

Like I said, you'll have to extract the genre data from within all of the above. Only way to do that is with a ucontroller (device in your flow chart) that has the code to "read" only that portion of the directory entry, compare it against your "genre" database and then enable the correct switching needed to output the music file to the correct amplifier.

Since you're planning on using a PC or i(thing) for your playback "device", you're going to have to hack that device somehow to extract the metadata you want. That is another beast altogether since you're going to have to use the OS for that device. Doable, I suppose, as an app for that machine.

Maybe misterT has some ideas...?

Thanks again cowboybob, those are really neat explanation. I am looking into the apps creation for that specific purpose. I will let you guys know if I come up with something.:happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back