Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it me or mr h!! who is wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
Hello,
I have a Tech teacher Mr H, now Mr H has been giving me a hard time at school for taking too long at some things, for example last week we finished off our very simple very stupid LED torch's (YAWN). I did all mine but before i slotted it in the case i used a needle file to smooth off all around the edges of the strip board and round off the corners a little. Mr H storms over and says to stop wasting time and get on with the next project. I tried to point out that too me the LED torch wasn't finished as it had rough edges around the strip board, he said so what dont matter!
so who is wrong? me for taking time and pride in my work like my dad has always told me to do or Mr H for basically being a Tw@@ ?

what is wrong with taking care and pride in what you do even if it's a crappy inefficient badly designed load of trash like these LED torches were?

what is wrong with taking care and pride in what you do
Absolutely nothing. Make allowances for Mr H; he may have been under stress.

You should have added a microcontroller and made it flash .... "Mr H is a crap teacher" in morse code ;)

Mr H designed a LED torch and used a 9V pp9 battery and resistor! so it's waste most the power over the resistor in heat! total rubbish, i did suggest to him we use a joule thief circuit and a AA 1.5V battery. He just gave me that look adults have for kids.
cant wait until we do the flashing card xmas tree for Christmas! :rolleyes: and i expect we will even use flashing LED's!!:facepalm: at least i get a bit of freedom on my tech project;) :smug:

what is wrong with taking care and pride in what you do
As already stated - nothing is wrong with that.

The torch may be of poor design, but...
There is no reason why you should not make it so that it will perform as best it can within the limits of its design.

You mechanically cleaned up the edges of the board, presumably where it had been cut, and so removed any whiskers of copper which at some time later could move and cause a short circuit.

I hope you had a good look at the solder joints, may be all six (?) of them to see that each joint was good and not about to fail.

Attention To Detail
When I started to get into project engineering and management, this was one of the mantras of my mentor (surprisingly enough it would be correct to call him Mr H).
Always check things, never assume "it will be OK" because often as not it won't.

Make allowances for Mr H; he may have been under stress.
Thinking back to my school days 50 odd years ago, I am sure that many of the teachers were wound up to screaming point.
Wound up by the little idiots they had to attempt to educate. And it has only got worse in the intervening years.
On the TV I watched a couple of programmes from the series "Educating Yorkshire", one of these fly on the wall type documentaries about a school in Yorkshire.
All I can say is, What a load of silly little idiots they are!
How the hell the teachers can put up with that nonsense, I have no idea.

So, I guess what you have to do is to put in the time, learn as much as you can, and don't let the crazies (pupils or teachers) mess with your head.

JimB

Unfortunately it's a fact of life. It's summed up with:

1. The boss is always right
2. If the boss is wrong, see rule #1.

The boss or the teacher is who you have to please. You have to do what's expected. In a work situation, you have to make it so he takes the fall, not you.

I got questions like:
Why does the wiring have to be neat?

Why can;t you just power a bulb from a source in a room a few doors away?
I have to explain this a bit more. I made a rule, that indicators in a box had to be powered from the box the indicator was in, not from a a supply in another room. This was primarily a "what if I have to fix it kind of thing"? So any contact closure that came into a box, first gets terminated on a section reserved for signals coming in/going out of a particular conduit.

So, a signal comes in and gets terminated in one area. Then cross-connects go to where that signal is used. The contact closure for the lamp went to a relay that was about 4 mm thick first. The supply came from the box the indicator was in.

Same with a system that was designed out of the plant. Wires come in and get terminated and then cross-connected to the PLC terminals. It just makes life a lot easier. it was

Another group did wierd stuff and it made it impossible to troubleshoot. I did eventually clean up part of it, but it was difficult.
They had building wiring terminate as separate wires to a screw terminal strip. See the mess already. They even powered a velocity alarm from the rack.
There were two 19" rack cases and you could not remove one or the other without painstakingly disconnecting all of the wires one by one from the scre terminals.

During an upgrade, I did manage to terminate all of the building stuff in a wall mounted enclosure and put the 24 VDC power supply in there and managed to get a power line run to inside the enclosure. I then routed all of the connections to a 37 pin connector. Now, you could at least remove one of the controllers and troubleshoot it.

I would have put both of these on rack slides.

When it broke, I would basically refuse to work on the original design.

I had a philosophy because we were in research.

1. Build modularly so things could be re-used or wired differently if needed and to anticipate future options, They were not included, but the hooks were in place. I did the same with software. Pretend I had all the money and resources and layout the program. Then implement what's needed. I also never wanted to see the unit again.

It might mean making it possible for a temperature controller to be wired for 240 or 120
Make auto-drop out a feature that could be enabled.
Allow a separate overtemp thermocouple to be fitted.
Allow for communication.

It didn't require much up front. But, it started by needing:
1. auto drop out so that was made front panel configurable
2. The output MUST have a contactor disconnect. (Shock hazzard)
3. Some needed a separate over temp thermocouple (#2 was a prerequisite)
4. A switch to set the desired temp to zero, internal or remote
5. Front panel fuses for 120/240 so two had to be fitted, but not wired.
6. Disconnectable 120/240 mains inlets.
7. A "configurable" 10 position screw terminal connector that could be purposed for anything
such as analog in/analog out
8. A communications connector.

The stuff was reused to a point until technology changed.

Why do you have to make a schematic first?

I think you just got introduced to the concept of micromanagement.

Your job is to spit out what teach wants even if he is wrong.

I have challenged teachers who were wrong and they agreed with me. Their response was, Your not supposed to know that yet.

At the same time it can be rewarding - becoming a ghost in the class.

Last edited:
Hi,

Mr H might have been trying to prepare you for the real world where time is money. In fact these days time is worth more than money. Time could make or break a company, so they throw stuff together and ship it. Is that the right way? No. But the way the world economy has changed over the past 30 years means time is a huge factor in the cost of a product. So anything that has to be done that takes a bit longer means the cost of the product goes up a bit more too. If it is cosmetic they might pay attention to it if it means more sales, but if it is invisible to the customer and it does not violate any laws they arent going to care.

Alternately, he might just be a big jerk :)

Try posing some well thought out questions, like, "Does it hurt to take a little bit longer on the cosmetic's of the device, even if they dont show up on the outside of the final project".
See what he has to say. If he gives a cheap reply like, "Yes", then inquire as to why this might be so. See if you can find out what his point of view was.
Dont get mad, find out what his point of view was and then you'll be in a better position to judge his motives and question his assumptions if you really want to do that.

You mechanically cleaned up the edges of the board, presumably where it had been cut, and so removed any whiskers of copper which at some time later could move and cause a short circuit.

hi LG,
IMO, JimB hit the nail on the head with this Quote.

If you do not trim the copper whiskers from a cut piece of tracked PCB [Vero style] you WILL get problems.

Rounded the corners of a PCB I would consider a waste of time.

E

Rounding, as in making a well defined radius of x millimetres, I would agree is a waste of time.
But three passes with a file to break the edge of sharp 90 degree corners which can scratch your fingers during handling is well worth the effort.

MrAl makes a good point, you don't make something better than it needs to be.
Consider two cars:
Ford Mondeo
Rolls Royce
They both do the same thing, move people around.
But the guys building the Mondeo are working to strict schedules on a production line.
The guys building the roller are taking their time to get it perfect.
Hence the difference in price and availability.

JimB

Mr H designed a LED torch and used a 9V pp9 battery and resistor! so it's waste most the power over the resistor in heat! total rubbish, i did suggest to him we use a joule thief circuit and a AA 1.5V battery. He just gave me that look adults have for kids.:smug:

You need to remember LG, people teaching electronics in UK schools almost universally know nothing whatsoever about electronics - they have probably attended a one day course (or maybe even just read a booklet), and that's their total knowledge of electronics.

He probably doesn't even properly understand ohms law, and wouldn't have the slightest clue what a 'joule thief' was.

Excellent post Jim

IMHO it is far better to nurture people that do things PROPERLY instead of wasting time on those that do the job/project or whatever just to get it over with and done. That is why my stability and consistency as a tvtech is unheard of here in SA. I have been on pay as you go (contract basis) longer than anyone here in SA ever.

My simple philosophy: If I am going to take the back cover off anyway to fix a simple fault...I may as well be thorough and do all dry joints, change Electrolytic Caps that look suspect, do the Greyscale adjustment (if necessary) and set the Focus and G2 up properly as well.

All this extra costs very little time. And the customer pays a minimum amount more for a job well done....instead of something rushed.

Just me.

Regards,
tvtech

I went through this sort of nonsense most of my life and I still stick to the primary rule of if I am doing it I am doing it right the first time.

As far as the time issue goes if you can do the job better in the same time period then by all means do so.

I can recall having a machining class about 20 years ago where we made little air powered engines. The basic design was real simple and mostly just taught the basics of how to do pression hand work.
Most everyone just slapped theirs together and they sort of worked and many beat themselves to bits or broke before the class testing period was over.:facepalm:

I however did like you did. I made a few tweaks to my design and did a bit of detail work. In the end unlike the majority of the other peoples designed mine ran beautifully and was also the one the took the least amount of fair pressure to keep it going.

Now 20 years later I can still power the thing up with nothing more than a bottle of canned air using the little blow straw! :cool:

As far as the rule of the boss is always right and if not see rule one nonsense. It's just that. Nonsense. There is a rule three they don't want you to know about which is if enough of the workforce complains to the right person the boss is reprimandable or outright replaceable. (Believe me I have helped with the reprimanding and outright replacing of a few bosses over the years so I know that rule works well when used properly!) :D:joyful:

Been there done that, they still haven't figured out how I was able to get the production run up above 30% loss to 299 out 300 board runs.

After 2 years, I finally gained control and trust of the Owner, I got the QC/QA out of the hands of Idiots. How do they alway's get the job, I'll never know:rolleyes:

The floor boss a young punk, who critiqued my work daily, and on one occasion threatened my life, bigger than me. He came up behind me, 6:00am in the morning hit me hard on the back and said, good morning, he had done this at least 10 times, with a smile, as he hit me, but on that morning, I had enough of it.

I turned with a 2 hand routine, sized his arm twisted it behind his back, then I proceeded hit him behind his shoulder hitting it each time screamed out, each word. How the hell are you doing this morning, I won't say the last word and Let go and called him outside to finish it.

He didn't want to, he never touched me again. He wore a sling for the rest of the week. He's lucky I didn't hit him in the head, he might have died. Some people never get it. (I'm really a happy go lucky guy, but that don't mean I can't handle myself) the Owner never said a word. Because everyone in the room supported me, this guy was a turd, from the neck up.

It's what you get when ordinary people become Trainers of Hand to Hand combat for the better part of 5 years. I never under estimate my opponent. Don't matter who you are, watch out for the quite one too! They will tear you up and spit you out.

Edit: BTW, this guy would never shut up, if I said 5 words in a day, it's going some, usually to answer a question or such. I can talk on the forum cause, I can't see you. In a group I won't say a peep. One on One, is better but awkward for much of the time, I look away or down. (I know I'm weird)

LG, from KV the grumpy old Gramps. Your action speaks 10 times louder than their words, keep your mouth shut and let them talk, then you show 'em hows it's done. (Period)

Last edited:
You know KV...I understand what you are on about :)

We all have our issues..I am the biggest offender.......you know what, For me ...simple.

Do it like this. Student/learner: Why?
Because it works.
Student/learner won't listen = shock instead....

Or something like that...:p I am a small Guy. I have to use my Brains....I wish I was a big Guy that could bash sense into people "nicelly". And wake them up.

Out of here Buddy.

Time to sleep,
tvtech

Last edited:
Yea, me too always the one that got ridiculed in grade school and one day someone jumped be outside of school property. They would never do it again after that and didn't. They were left lying on the ground crying.

Got a bit more careful after going to the movies and dropping a friend off at his house. He got jumped as he walked to his house by people following us by car. Fortunately, he was bigger than the attackers and the attackers targeted the wrong target anyway.

In another incident. I don't recommend the high speed chase. Just taking someone else's girlfriend home from a party she didn't want to be at. Ended only with the high speed chase.

Road rage: Always, always maintain an offensive position

The guy that raped by girlfriend didn't fair well either.

hi LG,
IMO, JimB hit the nail on the head with this Quote.

If you do not trim the copper whiskers from a cut piece of tracked PCB [Vero style] you WILL get problems.

E
thanks for all the reply's.
i rounded the corners a little because the box had rounded corners and square edges made it a bit tight to push home, so i thought it would save cracking any tracks. that and i always round the edges :D
Mr H is actually a biology teacher but we dont have a dedicated tech teacher at the moment so he teaches tech. He dosnt like me much but but i cant blame him for that as he old the class all LED's have a Vf of 2.2V and i stood up in class and pointed out that not all LED's have the same Vf depends on colour etc etc. he said that was rubbish, so as we were in TECH i printed off a couple of data sheets and showed him the relevant bits :joyful: he was and has been :grumpy: with me since. Dad say's stick with learning from you guy's and wait until i can get to uni to learn properly.o_O

He dosnt like me much but but i cant blame him for that as he old the class all LED's have a Vf of 2.2V and i stood up in class and pointed out that not all LED's have the same Vf depends on colour etc etc. he said that was rubbish, so as we were in TECH i printed off a couple of data sheets and showed him the relevant bits :joyful: he was and has been :grumpy: with me since.

Sounds familiar.
I have had a few math and engineering teachers/professors and workplace bosses over the years who fit into his mindset very well.

Terrible at what they do and go exactly by the book even if the book is clearly wrong and if anyone of lesser superiority by their judgment contradicts or proves them wrong they are on the bad list until the end of time. :rolleyes:

You know KV...I understand what you are on about :)

We all have our issues..I am the biggest offender.......you know what, For me ...simple.

Do it like this. Student/learner: Why?
Because it works.
Student/learner won't listen = shock instead....

Or something like that...:p I am a small Guy. I have to use my Brains....I wish I was a big Guy that could bash sense into people "nicelly". And wake them up.

Out of here Buddy.

Time to sleep,
tvtech

I'm not big, I just don't like people who are jerks and or the more devious want to do harm at a distance or to attack without warning.

In war it works but, not in civil conflicts. This guy was not able to control his fear and wanted to dispatch me, out of fear, and without courage to do so or to face me, he acted with (mere) words.

(mere words), mean it is not enough, not enough to worry about. So, then on that day I decided to neutralize him, removing his influence and behavior. So, after my leaving the Company, both the floor boss and his protector were fired.

These people do it to themselves, they were using their power to induce fear into people of losing their jobs. The owner placed a female there to observe their words, and actions. This would be the second instance of abuse of power I have witnessed while working, which resulted in a firing of people who are above you, and have power over you, and shouldn't have power over people.

Last edited:
Your a good man, TV. I'm small but where your at, I'm smaller compared to the population.

Don't be stupid like me. It will not be to your benefit.

kv

Last edited:
LOL, my "Technician" who is fond of beating people up did the same today to one of his own kind....at Work.

Two warnings now. And rightly so. One more and he is History. Should I provoke it...nah. He is about to bury himself anyway.....does not need me to fan the fire....

He has dug his own hole....

People that have watched my posts here regarding the threats this individual has consistently applied " If I leave...you will close down"...:):)

LOL. We are about to close YOU down. Justice is beautiful. And about time. Three Years is a longish wait though. But well worth the time and effort.

Maybe now that stupidity and wasting is no longer part of the scene...we can actually GET SOMEWHERE.

People that listen and and learn. WOW. New employees that are trained correctly from the start. At the age of 50...I am prepared to train properly.

I promise you ETO, the folks under my wing will not ask questions. They will be a proud lot that as long as CRT lasts...will most likely help here.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back