Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is Fuzzy Logic Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog

As I recall, it was quite the buzz about 10-15 years ago. Haven't heard much about it in recent times.

Anyone use it, or know why it has faded from the EE front pages?

Analog said:
As I recall, it was quite the buzz about 10-15 years ago. Haven't heard much about it in recent times.

Anyone use it, or know why it has faded from the EE front pages?
A lack of demonstrable benefits would be at the top of my list.

I think it is used in most commercial electronics consumer kit - it's just not referred to as fuzzy logic any more as it is so commonplace - ljust ike they don''t put "TURBO" on the back of cars anymore.

Anything which learns your preferences or previous settings could be said to be exhibiting fuzzy logic.

dch222 said:
I think it is used in most commercial electronics consumer kit - it's just not referred to as fuzzy logic any more as it is so commonplace - ljust ike they don''t put "TURBO" on the back of cars anymore.

Anything which learns your preferences or previous settings could be said to be exhibiting fuzzy logic.

**broken link removed**

:D :p ;)

dch222 said:

If that is true then I hate fuzzy logic. I want my car, computer, phone etc to be exactly the same every time I use them unless I change them. My current car has DAT (driver assist technology), it basically changes down gear if you touch the brake while going down hill. Drives me mad, it's like having someone in the back playing with the gearbox. Also, if I pull out of a junction and stick my foot down, it decides I'm a boy racer and keeps the engine in the power band for the next 20 seconds or so making the ride very jerky. Toyota assure me that this is working as designed.
When I first installed XP, it had that stupid "keep things that you used last on the menu" system enabled. It just meant that I had to read the menu every time to find out where the item I wanted was. I eventually worked out how to turn it off.
I used to be able to hover my mouse over the clock in the corner and it displayed the date, now it doesn't do that any more. I guess that was a security update.</rant>

Mike.

i think there may be a role for fuzzy logic in very specific applications where the system being controlled is not completely understood in a mathematical sense but a person can manually operate the system (I'm not sure what type if systems that might cover). Fuzzy logic in systems such as motor control, power supplies, etc just don't make sense to me because the systems are so well known that analog feedback just can't be beat for speed of response and simplicity.

Pommie said:
If that is true then I hate fuzzy logic. I want my car, computer, phone etc to be exactly the same every time I use them unless I change them. My current car has DAT (driver assist technology), it basically changes down gear if you touch the brake while going down hill. Drives me mad, it's like having someone in the back playing with the gearbox. Also, if I pull out of a junction and stick my foot down, it decides I'm a boy racer and keeps the engine in the power band for the next 20 seconds or so making the ride very jerky. Toyota assure me that this is working as designed.

Shouldn't have a silly automatic gearbox then! :D :D :D

When I first installed XP, it had that stupid "keep things that you used last on the menu" system enabled. It just meant that I had to read the menu every time to find out where the item I wanted was. I eventually worked out how to turn it off.

Real bummer that! - anyone know how to stop laptops from pressing buttons and links if you hover over something for more than a split second? - really drives me mad!.

I used to be able to hover my mouse over the clock in the corner and it displayed the date, now it doesn't do that any more. I guess that was a security update.</rant>

Just tried it, works fine here! (XP SP2).

You do not hear much about it anymore because it is not news. It is only used when other logic/control methods fail, then it is the only solution. There are not many of these apps. At this point it is just another tool in the toolbox.

dch222 said:

No. In short fuzzy logic is a means of making choices base on fuzzy set theory.

Fuzzy logic is a buzz word based on the so called fuzzy set theory in mathematics. All PID loops are effectively fuzzy logic routines, nobody calls them that. It's basically a digital quantization of the analog world, the more bits you use the 'fuzzier' it is. There's black and white, and then there's fuzzy which is shades of gray. I've been looking at gray scale images for years without calling them fuzzy logic based image representation methodologies =)
It could just as easily be called quantized analog logic, or complex hysteresis based value engineering, or some other equally long winded smart sounding snuff.

Last edited:
Sceadwian said:
Fuzzy logic is a buzz word based on the so called fuzzy set theory in mathematics. All PID loops are effectively fuzzy logic routines, nobody calls them that. It's basically a digital quantization of the analog world, the more bits you use the 'fuzzier' it is. There's black and white, and then there's fuzzy which is shades of gray. I've been looking at gray scale images for years without calling them fuzzy logic based image representation methodologies =)
It could just as easily be called quantized analog logic, or complex hysteresis based value engineering, or some other equally long winded smart sounding snuff.

From Wikipedia
Another problem faced with PID controllers is that they are linear. Thus performance of PID controllers in non-linear systems (such as HVAC systems) is variable. Often PID controllers are enhanced through methods such as scheduling or fuzzy logic.

Fuzzy logic is not the same as PID.

Your viewpoint regarding fuzzy logic in not unexpected. The AI community puts much effort into difficult problems. Some AI solutions have been adapted by main stream computing. When asked about these, most main stream types state one of the following:

• It was never a hard problem.
  • The problem was solved with MIPS
  • It never existed

To some degree the AI people have themselves to blame. Once a problem is solved they nolonger think of it as part of AI.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Shouldn't have a silly automatic gearbox then! :D :D :D
Right On, Nigel. Full control and full satisfaction comes from a pedal and a lever attached to a dry clutch manually operated transmission. (haven't tried an SMG type, but seems like blasphemy to me). I'll save further thoughts for automobile bulletin boards.

I get bad phantom shifting syndrome in a car that doesn't have a stick. If an automatic car has a shifter on the floor I constantly switch into neutral when slowing to a stop light or stop if I know one's coming, I don't like the idea of the breaks fighting the engine or the waste the torque converter causes at a stop light.

When it was a buzzword I couldn't get a clear view of what fuzzy logic was. I was really surprised to find that it was how I did things anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back