Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is 4 layer PCB cheaper than double sided PCB with components both sides?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,
Which method is likely to be cheaper to produce?..

1…Having a double sided PCB , with surface mount components on both sides, or
2….Having a 4 layered PCB, with surface mount components only on one side.
(This refers to a 10cm x 10cm offline, 60W SMPS PCB which also has some monitoring and control circuitry on the secondary side.)

Why not just ask the PCB manufacturer?

JimB

we just want a general idea, but they will need exact gerbers before they say anything, we don't have the gerbers ready yet

Then why not just create something, even if it is not an exact design.
Ask them to quote for both types of board and then you have a comparison.

JimB

The PCB manufacturer doesn't care whether you have components on one side or both sides, it's the number of layers and board area that primarily determines the cost.
Placing components on both sides of the board could be more expensive to assemble, however. If your company is the one assembling the board then that's a call you have to make.

thanks, yes indeed, I am speaking of the overall cost of pcb manufacture and assembly for each case.

There are many PCB houses that will give you a quote with out files.
You need to know the size and thickness and number of layers.
You will get a quote in seconds at any time of the day.
The important thing is the ratio between 2 layer and 4 layer.

A 4 layer board can be smaller. A board with parts on two sides can be smaller.
The PCB is often the highest cost "part". So making it smaller is good.

thanks, yes indeed, I am speaking of the overall cost of pcb manufacture and assembly for each case.
That kinda depends on who and how is assembling it, doesnt it. If you assemble everything by hand than it doesnt really matter. If you are doing reflow soldering then you need to carfully choose which components go on which side, think about the capabilities of your pick and place, number of boards being produced, etc. Very hard to tell without having the two desings and description of the complete manufacturing department and process to compare.

The 4 layer PCB might be 2/3 the size of the 2 layer, but it is roughly twice as costly for the same board size.

You might want to consider having a separate pwm and driver module with small components on a small separate right-angle board, and having the power components on a simpler 2 layer board.

The PCB manufacturer doesn't care whether you have components on one side or both sides, it's the number of layers and board area that primarily determines the cost.
Placing components on both sides of the board could be more expensive to assemble, however. If your company is the one assembling the board then that's a call you have to make.

Yes, I think so. For PCB, if you could do it as double sided, don't do it as 4 layers board. There will some extra cost for double sided assembly, depends on your quantity.

The important thing is that you have to determine is price or quality is important to you. I know price plays a price, but then paying for something that may have slimmer chance to work is not fun either. I would say depending on the number of pieces and thickness of boards, try a piece of both. Tested out and determine how everything looks on the outside as well, and then how well you wanted to work and last, then determine a price. You cannot start with the price, unless it does not matter the quality. I have worked with a company that has worked with me really well and helped me determine the best choice at the best price. There is always a compromise. First determine what are the most important things to you, then go get them. Try SAElectronics.org, they were pretty cool. I say send them an e-mail, so then you can get a direct quote or quotes and start somewhere. Good Luck!

Material cost of boards in volume approaches total copper weight or total area x wt. x layers in volume

Incremental Setup costs are small for 10k runs of boards. But solder screens are up to 1k$ per panel per side plus setup NRE. Depends on handstuff costs and choice of soldering ,method. Either way in small volume it will be more than you think. Then dont make any major changes.

I suspect you will want rapid proto services like Sierra Proto Express, who do both, make everything inhouse.
... I used to be Mfg Eng Mgr for a contract mfg co.

Last edited:
My PCB supplier charges $2.50 per board and one or two cents for fitting each component. The only other cost is postage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back