Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

irc chatroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi people!

I know im n00b here, but i think making an irc channel is a GREAT idea.

Oh, and if you need any help with making / servicing an irc channel, ill be glad to help anytime!

What do you think?

As the only people likely to post are going to be in favour of it, I thought I'd give my negative vote.

I've never found IRC at all useful and wouldn't be interested, the forums as they already exist probably do all that's needed.

With the worldwide membership of this board it's unlikely that many would be available at the same time.

I agree with Nigel. Another downside of an IRC chat room is that it would inevitably devolve from technical discussion to ****-chat.

I've got a Chat area on my forum if anyone would like to use it. Just got it up and working. Seems to be all good. My forum is new as well. Stop by if interested and we all can get into a 'chat'. **broken link removed**

Anti - Chat

I must also agree with Nigel
I like to think about any replies I am going to post (sometimes for days :!: )
I can't think of many situations where such immediacy would be required.

Attachments

• felix_thinking.gif
    felix_thinking.gif
    21 KB · Views: 3,270
I put up my Chat just for people to have a place to 'chat' with each other if they want to. :wink: Its not an IRC so it works pretty well! :lol: I have used it many times to help someone with MANY questions that needed help right away. Also used it to just 'chat' about anything worth wild. :)

chaotic-mind said:
Another downside of an IRC chat room is that it would inevitably devolve from technical discussion to ****-chat.

i dont c y thats so bad. i dont think that it would really help with technical questions cuz like mechie said, sometimes u gotta think about it. but it would be kind of cool to get to know everyone.

zachtheterrible wrote:
i dont c y thats so bad. i dont think that it would really help with technical questions cuz like mechie said, sometimes u gotta think about it. but it would be kind of cool to get to know everyone.

Stop by and 'Chat' sometimes! :p

**broken link removed**

zachtheterrible said:

It depends upon what you want I guess. If all you want is to ****-chat, there are already a gazillion chat rooms out there. I personally have no desire to engage in small talk with someone I've never seen nor will ever see in person and therein lies the my objection. All I would be interested in is tech talk but the nature of IRC is to facilitate ****-chat.

I'm not saying don't start an ElectroTech chat room, it just won't be very interesting from a techtalk viewpoint.

It's not that i just want idle **** chat. It's just, it would be kind of cool to get to know the people behind the posts i guess.

zachtheterrible said:
It's not that i just want idle **** chat. It's just, it would be kind of cool to get to know the people behind the posts i guess.

I agree! That is why I put a Chat room on my electronics forum. Just a place to go to introduce yourself or anything else. :wink: Doesn't hurt anything.

How about a quick plug ???

jonrans said:
That is why I put a Chat room on my electronics forum.
jonrans Do you think maybe if you tried a bit harder you could sneak in another plug for your chatroom? I think we get the idea now. :roll:

Re: How about a quick plug ???

mechie said:
jonrans said:
That is why I put a Chat room on my electronics forum.
jonrans Do you think maybe if you tried a bit harder you could sneak in another plug for your chatroom? I think we get the idea now. :roll:

Who said that I was trying to sneak in plug? :? The discussion was about Chat, was it not? I have one and offered it to those who wanted to use it. What is wrong with that? Just because you don't think it is a good idea does not make you the majority leader for everyone else that would like to have it. :lol: We all have the right to make up our own minds.

jonrans: As per my PM you have been officially warned. We allow you to have a link in your signature but if you continue to entice members to your "electronics forum" we will ban you. Please have some respect.

Ok, I created this IRC chat for this website.
Admins: You can make it official if you want to. If you have problem with it, i will close it down. Contact me to get you're SOP (Super Operator) too(only site admins).
Everyone is welcome!

#TheElectronicsChat on the ZiRC network (irc.zirc.org)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back