Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR2117 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

renzen

I have problem with IR2117. The circuit is buck converter using TL494. I'm using soft start 1u capacitor with 10k and 1k resistor connect to DTC. The frequency is 100khz
I tested the circuit on breadboard with IRF4905 P mosfet, works perfectly. Then using IRFZ44n N mosfet with 2n7000 and npn+pnp(bootstrap), also works perfectly.
But when I use IR2117, the output is not correct. The output is only half of the 2 previous methods.
I connect the TL494 with IR2117 like this:
ir2117.jpg

I tested with 1N4148 and 1N5822, 0.1u and 1u, the result is still the same. Help pls....

Thank you.

Last edited:
*Update

I've been searching in web, and it's look like many have trouble with IR2117.
Anyone can give me an alternative for IR2117? Or I better stick with discrete bootstrap?
I've read somewhere that it's better and more stable to use high side mosfet driver than discrete bootstrap? Is it true?

I don't see any decoupling cap on the chip supply pin, nor a load on the output?
What load did you have connected when testing? Without a load being switched the bootstrap won't work.

I use computer PSU as the power source. From the power source to the circuit, I use 1000uf capacitor. So I don't add capacitor on the IR2117 supply pin. Do I have to add one? I use resistor as a load when testing.
Sorry I don't enclose the whole circuit. The circuit is a basic TL494 buck converter with parallel configuration(pin13 to ground).

The two most common errors I have seen with this type of gate drive is:
1) there must be a load on the MOSFET. The source must be pulled to near ground for at least 10% of the time.
2) you can not go to 100% on time. (not your problem)

Problem solved :woot:

After check and recheck, then put capacitor near the IR2117 supply pin like in the datasheet, it works perfectly. I learned something here.... capacitor is very important :D
Thank you all for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back