Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ir transmitter distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaneshane1

i have a ir transmitter with 50mA max output 1.2V and the distance to the receiver is about 40 centermeters,does anyone know how i can obtain more distance like 1meter or more....

shaneshane1 said:
i have a ir transmitter with 50mA max output 1.2V and the distance to the receiver is about 40 centermeters,does anyone know how i can obtain more distance like 1meter or more....
Focus the beam and put it on a carrier.

Simply chopping it at over 4x the data rate is sufficient, on the receiving end put a bandpass filter at the chopper frequency will take out the noise leave you with your original signal amplitude modulated. For low data rates it is easier to just get an IR receiver from Digikey to do all that crap for you better than you could conveniently.

D.

If you don't mind cables, i have an idea for you!
i don't know if it is possible but you can try it as an experiment, what i have in mind is fiber optics! try to approach it that way, and because i don't know if the IR can make it through fiber optic, and
probably you don't want to waste a fiber optic cable, get some fishing line with large diameter and experiment with it... :)

Last edited:
The remote control for a TV uses IR and has a range of 10m. Do it the way they do it with an IR receiver IC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back