Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR sensor fails on high lighting intensities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi jpanhalt,

Well, I don't think that a sensor sensing distance based on signal strength would
be the answer.

r

RobertRoss said:
That's not good!!!! I have to somehow, measure the ambient lighting every minute or so and then, based on the required distance, I have to set the correct current for the IR led so there would be no IR overshoot in respect to the amount of ambient lighting at that instance in time.

I'm confused.

Good luck.

John

The neighbor kid had one of those helicopters which used IR. Every time he took it outside it would crash and act crazy. He thought it was broken.
You may have to use a different method for determining distance under these conditions.

"The neighbor kid had one of those helicopters which used IR. Every time he took it outside it would crash and act crazy. He thought it was broken.
You may have to use a different method for determining distance under these conditions."

yes ... I am starting to realize this!!!

thanks
r

You have a micro at your disposal so you could probably have another sensor that just detects ambient light. It may still be a tricky calibration by trial and error.

You have a micro at your disposal so you could probably have another sensor that just detects ambient light. It may still be a tricky calibration by trial and error.

yes, I thought about that.... but before I go down that route
I am waiting for the tssp4038 to come in as this is a fixed
gain part as suggested a few posts back in this thread. Vishay
also suggested this part for this application.... as marked on the
spec, this is one of their new parts.

I will try it out....

r

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back