Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR remote range: modulated vs. non modulated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Propaganda

Has anyone experimented with data transfer using IR being modulated and non modulated?

Basically, I am just curious to see the range difference indoors with a sun flooded room vs. indoors at night using a non mod and a mod signals at a low baud.

I am about to order IR modules, LEDs, and a modulator and I would like to compare my findings with others.

ty

*edit*

Also, any suggestions on how to format the packet? (MCU to MCU communication) (5 byte payloads)

data1, data2, data3, data4, data5, checksum (of data1 through data5)

example: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 5

With RF communication a preamble is a must, but with IR?

ty again

Last edited:
Modulation doesn't affect range, it's primarily for noise rejection (mostly ambient light).

Manchester Encoding works great, the Sony format is also very popular with dozens of uC examples on the net.

Modulation doesn't affect range, it's primarily for noise rejection (mostly ambient light).

Manchester Encoding works great, the Sony format is also very popular with dozens of uC examples on the net.
actually it does effect range in as much as you do not have to overpower past nearly as much...that old signal to noise ratio thing does improve range as well.

the other thing it is good for is selectivity to use multiple channels

dan

Modulation doesn't affect range, it's primarily for noise rejection (mostly ambient light)....

Have you ever compared the range of a DC-coupled IR beam-break detector vs one that modulates (pulses) the emitter and uses a tuned high-gain AC-coupled gain block in the receiver? The range difference is like several cm vs several meters. That's why I have used a pulsed emitter and one of the TV remote receivers for a beam-break detector that is used in sunlight.

Light doesn't travel a different distance based on how you turn it on or off. Functionally does a circuit function better and more reliably with modulation, absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back