Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ir receiver question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaneshane1

i have a infrared receiver with 3 pins coming out of it,if im looking at the receiver lense where do the pins go ,(the left pin,middle,and right)
any help would be great.....

check the spec sheet

you have to know the part number, then look at the spec sheet.

That is the only way unless you want to guess, but then you can render your part useless, as well as other parts in the same circuit.

one of the pins is ground, one is +V (probably 5V) and the other is the signal. ground should be quite obvious, maybe even connected to the metal case. If you can see the circuit board, +V should be fairly easy to discern.

best way, though, is as johnsmith said - get the part number and find the datasheet.

It is a FDF datasheet and when you zoom in on it then it is easy to see.
Like this:

Attachments

• ZD-1952 IR receiver.PNG
    ZD-1952 IR receiver.PNG
    20.2 KB · Views: 311
thanks i set it up , i used a 5v regulator on pin 3 and i grounded pin 2 but pin 1 is showing about 1.19 volts without transmitter and about 1.28 with the transmitter shouldnt it be oV without transmitter

Its output should go low if it receives an IR beam that is modulated with its carrier frequency, and go high in the dark. Its output doesn't change as much as it should so it must have daylight or a compact fluorescent bulb shining on it.

i connected pin 1 (output) to pin 3 (+V) with a LED,and i got the tv remote and pressed a button and the LED started flashing,is that the way it is supposed to work???

shaneshane1 said:
i connected pin 1 (output) to pin 3 (+V) with a LED,and i got the tv remote and pressed a button and the LED started flashing,is that the way it is supposed to work???

Yes it is, the flashing is the demodulated data from the remote.

i tried making a transmitter with a standard collector emitter transmitter LED but im getting zero results with it, the tv remote is working excellent with over 20 meter rang and it flashes due to the tv remote,is there a simple way to set it up so it stays on rather than flashing.

You need to modulate the LED with 38KHz or so - bear in mind though that the receiver is designed for data pulses, and NOT for continuous carrier - so range will probably be considerably reduced.

shaneshane1 said:
does anyone know how to modulate a standard infrared led for the receiver
You turn it on and off at about 38kHz with an oscillator. A 555 oscillator is powerful enough for it.

Look at the datasheet for a 555. It has a chart with resistors and the timing capacitor values and frequencies. It also has a formula for you to accurately calculate their values.

The IR receiver you got doesn't have its frequency specified, does it?

audioguru said:
Look at the datasheet for a 555. It has a chart with resistors and the timing capacitor values and frequencies. It also has a formula for you to accurately calculate their values.

The IR receiver you got doesn't have its frequency specified, does it?

yes its center frequency is 30.0 to 40kHs

shaneshane1 said:
yes its center frequency is 30.0 to 40kHs
No it is not! The datasheet shows 36kHz ones, 38kHz ones and 40kHz ones. Jaycar ripped you off since they are all mixed up.

It will be difficult to find out the exact frequency. Adjust the frequency of the transmitter then measure the range. Adjust the frequency of the transmitter again then measure the range again.

www.datasheetarchive.com has millions of datasheets. A TLC555 is a low power Cmos version of a normal LM555 or NE555.

With a 5V supply, a normal 555 has an output high current of 200mA but the Cmos one has an output current of only 1mA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back