Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR Receiver/Demodulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahassan101

Hi all,

I'm a 4th year Electrical Engineering student, and for my final project I am working on a IR to Bluetooth converter. We are allowed to use a bluetooth module, making the Bluetooth side of the device quite a bit easier; however, for the IR side, we have to build it from scratch.

My question is that due to the specifics of this project, I will have no idea what type of IR transmitter will be inputted in this device and thus, will have no idea what sort of IR protocol is used (ie. RC-5, RC-6,RECS80,etc.). My first thought was to capture the IR pulse length using the input capture function of my AVR microcontroller and code the microcontroller to detect which protocol is being used, but that seems like a LOT of coding to do. Additionally, I'd probably have to include some sort of "programming" function similar to a Universal Remote Control for the device so that the device knows that when "up" is pressed on the IR remote, it correctly detects that.

I would appreciate any ideas or thoughts you had on this.

Thanks!

Adam

a starting point

Not knowing a priori what protocol is being used is going to be tricky, as you can't otherwise know what any particular keypress means on an IR controller. There are enough protocols (and frequencies) in the wild that figuring-out which one is talking to you isn't trivial. So, without knowing anything else, it looks like you're going to be doing a learning remote.

You should probably start by looking at this:
**broken link removed**

-e

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back