Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR pulses for tach

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnR

Hi

I want to put a tachometer onto a milling machine. I purchased one of these..https://www.ebay.com/itm/280903275997 and it looks good. I had IR sensors QRD1114 so used them. I was able to construct a circuit on the bench and scoped a square wave (squarish, rounded edges) with a peak to peak of about 3.2 volts but the meter seems to display a fraction of the RPM. On the milling machine, it seems to be about 1/60 of the actual. I am waiting to hear back from the supplier but less than optimistic. The pulse train on the bench from a hobby motor and a disc **broken link removed** seemed about right although at first I felt the pulse train was off ie I thought the motor was spinning a lot faster than what the meter said but cannot tell. The period of the waveform varied fine with a variation in the motor voltage. I do not know why it would be different. Any ideas? The only literature on the tach is what you see on the eBay posting. I am considering upgrading my circuit to switch a mosfet for a more precise pulse train but since it all works, I don't think this will make much of a difference. Any ideas?

I don't have pictures to post but the circuit is simple. The output of the sensor passes current to a resistor in the collector leg, generating a pulse train. It is the fraction of the actual speed that stumps me. There are two buttons inside the unit but again, no instructions.

Anyone have any input?

Duhh! I just hooked it up again and figured it out. Yes, the factor is 1/60. The scope display equated to a 70 Hz and the meter was displaying 70...but I was looking for RPM..Revolutions per minute! Hence 1/60 error.

Now I have to figure out how to set up an encoder on a spindle for 60 intervals.

Maybe this post will help someone

Cheers all

There is display mode setting at the back of the meter. Set it to "rotate speed" and your meter will show RPM (frequency x 60)
Instructions on ebay page.

Function Selection:

• Frequency and Rotate speed display Set
(Please disconnect the input signal before setting when the input signal is High level voltage signal)

Open the back cover of the meter,

Press "S2" key to enter "SET" model and then press "S1" to change display mode,

"0" means Frequency display with filter ;

"1" means rotate speed with filter;

"2" means Frequency display without filter ;

"3" means rotate speed without filter.

Number of revolution per second RPS is one thing. Number of revolutions per minute RPM is 60*RPS.

I agree with Zahwi, the instrument already knows how to do the math. All you have to do is put it in the right mode...

Last edited:
Thank you. I looked all over that page last night, went to the sellers store....could not find it. I was pushing the buttons today but could not figure out. I found out how to divide by 60, ..;-)

Obviously, did not scroll down far enough. Thank you. !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back