Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR or RF receiver questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theeun_Holy

Hello,
I apologize in advance in these are "noob" questions.
I am looking for some help with a hobby project that involves quite a few samsung S-Series digital cameras. They have lot's of nifty features on them, but do not have a remote trigger/flash option (there basic point & shoot models) I would like to wire in a IR or RF receiver to each of them just to fire the shutter/auto focus. I have taken one of the cameras apart and have a pretty good idea where the neg/pos are too fire the shutter
(....I think.) Since there are a ton of various cheap gadgets out there that can transmit IR or RF signals (IR remotes, ATI's RF remote, toys, etc,.) I am thinking the easiest route might be to find and/or modifiy a IR or RF receiver (2-ch minimum, I'm guessing) that will match up with a transmitting devices signal. I can tell there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, anyone have any particular device suggestions? or "simple" schematic diagrams or ideas to get me going in the right direction? any input would be appreciated, Thanks!

Do you really need remote? You could just make a timer that you activate for a self portrait.
Another option is to get a IR receiver module (these are cheap and easy to find) and simply wire it up to trigger a oneshot on ANY remote IR signal. Then you could use any remote to trigger it and keep the circuit simple and noob like. :D

Get a used garage door opener receiver and transmitter. They are simple and reasonably reliable.

Hey thanks all for the input. The cameras are fairly new models though and do have built in timers. I have found various IR & RF transmitters/receivers on ebay made for high-end cameras (canon/sony) some were fairly cheap about $10 - $25 each, I might end up going that route if I don't figure out a cheaper option. considering I have around 15 cameras that will each need there own receiver (all will be using same freq) and will eventually have more cameras, I'm really hoping to save some $$ by wiring it up myself using just the bare minimum of parts needed to receive a effective signal to trip a relay/switch of some sort to fire the shutter/auto-focus.

I hadn't though about garage door openers though, thx! I'll look into that.

Last edited:
Info found!

Bingo!

I found what was looking for on a RC Forum (radio controlled cars, planes, etc,.)

big Thanks too all that gave suggestions though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back