Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR ENCODER/DECODER using PIC16f84A - help need ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

vortech1

- i want to do a holtek encoder/decoder substitute using pic16f84.

-what intend to use
1. a pair of pic16f84A as my encoder and decoder
2.vishay tsop1138 or 1140 IR receiver module
3. 2 IR Leds

-what i need to know
encoder side:
pic16f84 to modulate at 38khz or 40khz (how)
1 pin for data_out i.e. PORTA, 0
1 pin for freq i.e. PORTA, 1
3 pins for address i.e. remaining PORTA pins (2-4)
8 pin for data PORTB (bit 0 to 7) input
i will only need a 3-bit address from 000 to 111 and a byte for data.
my question is: how do i modulate my data to 38k or 40k freq using assembly?
can i send it all (11 bits 3 add,8data) at once using shifting? shift_out i mean like serially shifting it out for the decoder to retrieve using shift_in?

i saw in some website a ckt with one end of the ir led on a data_out pin and another end on a PWM or freq_out pin. does this mean that freq_out pin outputs 38k pulse train while data is shifted out at the other end simulataneously? how do i do this?

-decoder side
1 pin to accept the 11 bits (3add and 8 data) connected to the IR module
3 pins for address (same pins as above encoder)
8 pins for data output (same pin config as above encoder)

-what i need to know
is it advisable for a 2 pass transmission. first pass for address to check if encoded address is the same as on the decoder add and the 2nd pass for the data if first pass is a "green-and-go!"???

using shift_in coding, can i do it all (address checking, data retreival) in one pass? checking each data 1 bit at a time? how?

sir nigel>
i've been to your tutorials about ir. i dont have pic16f628 here in the philippines so i'm using f84A. i know that f628 in your tutorials were configured as an f84. my prob is that i need an encoder and decoder. dont have holtek here as well so there is a need for a gen purpose encode/decode ships here. you used a tv remote as a transmitter, i dont think i could need that.
your in-sights would be much appreciated.

:lol:

vortech1 said:
i've been to your tutorials about ir. i dont have pic16f628 here in the philippines so i'm using f84A. i know that f628 in your tutorials were configured as an f84. my prob is that i need an encoder and decoder. dont have holtek here as well so there is a need for a gen purpose encode/decode ships here. you used a tv remote as a transmitter, i dont think i could need that.
your in-sights would be much appreciated.

My tutorials do both a transmitter and a receiver, and you could easily use the 16F84 instead of 16F628. The IR tutorial does a simple transmitter with just a few buttons, but the keypad tutorial does one using all 16 buttons on a hex keypad.

vortech1, welcome to the boat with IR/F84A :D
i just did my senior project using these babies. i had a rough time getting the data with the carrier freQ also. the timing matter of ur clock is the primary matter. it's hard to tell it all here....but u could check out one of the project that MIT students do...**broken link removed**
i used the CCS C compiler......so i only know the C routine....if u have more Q.....shoot me an IM......

also...if u havent started ur project....i strongely suggest u to choose another uP.....since u could inplement this **broken link removed** to ur project and save all the extra encode/decode coding space for ur application....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back