Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macyoshary

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to put together a remote for my camera using the CHDK, (you can look up "CHDK USB Remote" for more information).

Basically, I want to take the normal design (a battery, switch and a USB plug) and make it wireless by replacing the push switch with an infrared detector of some sort and to be able to activate it with an IR LED, so that current flows through the circuit while the LED is on, and when I turn it off, current stops flowing.

What is the simplest way to go about this?

Not sure how long the pulse needs to be, but one way might be to use an ir sensor (like in your tv) and trigger it with your tv remote. If something like that is what you have in mind let us know.
PS. Easy

Yeah, I know it's easy I just don't know how to do it :p

What sort of IR sensor would I use?

I think I can get an IR photoresistor or an IR photodiode fairly easily, would either of those work?

You can try to build one or sometimes it is simpler to have the work done for you. I use one of these with my cameras. Just about every major camera manufacturer makes and markets remotes for their cameras and sometimes it is just easier to buy depending on the camera.

Just My Take
Ron

you could use something as simple as these

If I were to use a pair like that, how would I include it in the circuit. Would I simply substitute the switch for the photodiode (which is what it is according to the page) and it would let current through if there was IR radiation above a certain threshold?

You can try to build one or sometimes it is simpler to have the work done for you.

My camera is only a cheapish point-and-shoot, and this is more about being able to go "Hey, I managed to make a wireless remote for my little camera" than actually using it for a serious purpose, thanks anyway for the link.

Thanks for your help.

OK, rather that use a manufactured remote you have a few options. Attached is an image (very rough image) of using a photo transistor. The transistor replaces the switch as seen in your original link.

Also an IR system could be incorporated and set up similar as to the IR receiver side.

The biggest problem with using light to trigger anything or IR is the ambient light. The beginnings of solving this problem can be as simple as shielding the receiver with some black tube stock to more complex methods. Then things get more complicated. A good example is the remote control used with electronic devices where it is not as simple as a simple IR transmitter with a battery. However, in systems like this, ambient light becomes less of a problem.

What you are trying to do is not quite as easy as it looks on the surface.

Ron

Attachments

• Photo NPN.gif
    Photo NPN.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 144
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back