Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ir Controlled light

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaven

am looking in making a Ir controlled led light bar

i want to be able to turn on and off a led light bar via IR, do you guys know how i can make this

Pretty simple actually, and you won't even need a PIC microcontroller (though some will try to sell you on it, be warned...).

First, there is a cheap and easy to find IR reciever module (costs arond $1.00, probably around $5.00 at Radio Shaft). It's the same module found in any VCR, TV or and thing with a remote actually, pretty common. Salvaging one from a dead VCR is one way, but buy one you can get the pinout. Generally, the center pin is the signal out, and they run off 5 VDC. When it sees an infrared signal at or around its center frequency (around 38 khz), you get an output, which you can use to turn on/off your LEDs.

Can't give you a circuit diagram at this point, because I don't know if you want the LEDs to stay ON continously until you want to turn them off, or just on while you hold down the button. I don't know the specs on you light bar, voltage/current draw, so not sure what would be required to do the switching.

Also, any IR remote you have will likely trigger this, so will you need this to be specific? I mean, if your light bar is in the TV room, changing channels or something could toggle the lights...

Need to add a few details on what you have planned, there are dozen of people here who could throw this together in minutes, if given enough information to get them started. Be as specific as posiable.

i will be using the led bar in the home theater room the specs are

12 Inch Light Bar with 12 High Flux 50 Degree 2000 mcd Amber LEDs
12 VDC Operation

The home theater room, now that complicates things, but not too bad. Atleast there will be a remote handy. I could do the simple, but no idea were to go with not interfering with the other devices, or keeping the lights on when using the remote for other things.

HarveyH42 said:
The home theater room, now that complicates things, but not too bad. Atleast there will be a remote handy. I could do the simple, but no idea were to go with not interfering with the other devices, or keeping the lights on when using the remote for other things.

this is where the PIC gets bought. the simple solution responds to any remote at the modulation frequency. needless to say, there will probably be at least one recmote control in your HT that will have the side effect of toggling your light bar on/off.

the best way to do this without a PIC is to use encoder and decoder chips. check this outfit out - they will have what you need: https://www.rentron.com/PicBasic/RemoteControl.htm

they have both IR and RF. I'd go for RF since IR needs line-of-sight but IR will still work for you.

I will be using now a dual CCFL bar with the power inverter its 12v

i went to the link philba and i dont know what to get ...

i just want to be able to turn it on and off and if I turn it on stay on until i turn it off .

of i found this kit that could work but how i can change the ir code that will turn on the light bar ??

cause this kit will turn it on no matter what button i press.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back