Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

qtommer

IR sensors as we know reflect better of white surfaces compared to black.

Whilst testing my IRs, i noticed that for a distance of 1 inch away on a black surface, the voltage output is approximately 2.5V. However, a white surface material would have to be located at least 5 inches away for a voltage output of 2.5V..

This is not feasible for me as I am feeding my sensor outputs to comparators which in turn go to a PIC. If my system requires detecting both black and white..
Is there any way to compensate between the two whilst reducing the vast distance difference?

thanks!=)

Questions, questions--

What is the voltage when nothing is detected?
Is there a specific distance you want to detect, and not detect outside that range?
Is there something that gets into the field that you do not want to detect?

Otherwise I would just set the threshold for the black surface. I don't know of any way to compensate for the different reflectivities other than that.

Last edited:
Otherwise I would just set the threshold for the black surface. I don't know of any way to compensate for the different reflectivities other than that.

yes sir that's exactly what i taught of doing.
but then im actually detecting a model of a parking lot for my self parking RC car and the wall distances are fixed. Hence, if i set the threshold for black, which is at 2.5V to detect the front wall which is 1 inch away, when a white wall is placed instead, the wall would have to be at least 5 inches away which "eliminates" the tight parking space parking that my car is doing...hmmm..i guess id just have to make do with a white parking lot..
thanks anyway=)

The other way would be to use an ultrasonic ranger which would be insensitive to color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back