Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ipod wall charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cameron589

I have this wall charger for my phone **broken link removed**

Is there any way to cut off the end that attaches to my phone and attach a female usb port so i can charge my ipod safely?

The ipod is 5 - 30vDC, and 1a max

Does it matter that the wall charger is only 4.2vDC when the ipod says 5 - 30vDC?

Thanks
Cameron,

Well 4.2v isn't 5v right? I entered iPOD wall charger into my browser and I got a ton of links to sites that seel ready-made chargers for as low as $7.95 US with others selling for under $10. That's hard to beat, knowing that you get a 3-year warranty on it and the connector meets factory spec. and the wires have molded on strain relief. Sometimes it's better in the long run to buy one ready made.

http://www.shaggymac.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=64&zenid=e8c8ec3dcdce92cc789f61cebf19c89d

http://www.poweraccessories.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=IPOD%5FAC%5FCHARGER%5F010W%5FUS

Hi,
From this topic, I have got a question. Is there any voltage regulator built-in in the mobile phone? Because I see some charger rated at 5 V, some 3.7 V.

The iPod requires 1A and your adaptor only supplys 0.6A so it'll overheat.

I am surprised that an iPod requires that much power though. I don't have one so I can't say but does it have a built in battery charger?

bananasiong,
I wouldn't surprise me if there are voltage regulators built into some phones.

Even if a phone is built to work within the possible voltage levels the battery can produce with a charge it still has to deal with being plugged into the wall, there has to be a regulator somewhere, either in the pack or in the phone.

The chargers may be rated for 1A just to make sure they have some overhead to avoid straining.

Still, 1A is a lot more than 0.6A, if it was 0.65A then I might risk it but not 1A.

depending on what ipod you have, some have hard drives. also that 1 amp might be for fast charging

If it's regulated from 5.0 volts down to the native lipoly's voltage the regulator might not be able to cope with 4.2 volts, the pack will never fully charge as th e regulator ceases to regulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back