Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ipod Remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordloihi

I am very new to electronics, but it has always interested me so lately I have started trying to make several little projects. My latest is trying to imitate what the Griffin company sells as the "universal ipod remote." It costs somewhere in the fifteen dollar range and id have to order it and it would just be too much effort. The circuit seems simple. I just dont really understand the electronics well enough to figure out what to use to get from point A (ipod) to point B (IR LED). Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kelly

The Universal Remote Project can be found at this website: **broken link removed**

Someone Electro said:
Its just 2 IR leds conected to the headphones jack over a resistor nothing else.
Oh haha. So you mean the IPod just outputs an "audio signal" of particularly frequency, but instead of driving earphones, it drives LEDs and makes them flash at the same frequency of the signal, thereby emitting a remote control IR signal?

Yep the remotes signal is recorded in a wav file and then played back in the IR LED wich plays it back like a remote would do somthing easyer.you could record the singals easyer by conecting a IR phototransaistor to your PCs mic input and record it.

Someone Electro said:
Yep the remotes signal is recorded in a wav file and then played back in the IR LED wich plays it back like a remote would do somthing easyer.you could record the singals easyer by conecting a IR phototransaistor to your PCs mic input and record it.
will it(ipod) produce the pwm waveform a remote uses at ~38Khz(it should be an audio amp) ??

You have to record the IR signal as an audio waveform. THen after that if you use the audio waveform to drive the LEDs, it will produce a particular IR remote control instruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back