Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IPOD only charges on 1 computer in the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramos1

My son received an IPOD photo. I put it on my USB port overnight, it charged, he took it to school, he liked it.. All should be good now right?

So the next day he took it to his bedroom, plugged it in to his MAC G5. Next day it was not charged. It showed it was connected and all.

I took a 5VDC regulated wall wart and put a USB connector on it so he did not need to plug into "my" computer and he wanted to charge it in his room. It did not charge. And again it showed it was connected.

I told him use his PC downstairs (he was hoping to charge it in his room). His PC would not charge it. But it showed it was connected and charging again.

I thought it must be the battery, bought a new battery. Guess what, same problem.

Anyone up on USB or IPOD USB charging? OR have an idea why one computer will charge it?

Also, I replaced the 500MA 5VDC with 1.1AMP 5VDC regulated (think it needs more power) and still no charge.
But it shows it is connected and charging. They all show it is charging, but the battery bar does not move overnight and it does not run long.

Only my PC will charge it (I am staring at it now :D)??? And it will have a solid bar in the AM. He is thinking about a none MAC product now... He had a Zen that worked for a year and gave that to his brother.

Last edited:
That just sounds weird.

Sounds like a chick that has mistaken a cat for its mother. Apple wouldn't program something like that into their Ipods would they?

That is weird. I'd say the comps were powering off the USB or something like that, but if the wall wart doesn't work, then I don't know! (Is this a regular wall wart on a USB? Or the one designed to plug an Ipod into the wall? It may require some interfacing or something...or is it just a straight power jack into the Ipod?)

dknguyen, I assumed USB was 5VDC on the two outside pins, no other magic.

It is weird for sure. I just woke up, I picked this thing (IPOD) up and it is charged.

Guess Apple did not like all the bad things I thought about them and made one special for me.

I will just buy a charger I guess..

iPODs are a PIA, IMHO. My daughter has one and it's a real bother to set it up properly as compared to a good everyday mp3 player. Although it has more features than the avg. mp3 player as a trade-off.

What version USB do the computers have?

I am guessing the IPOD uses USB 2.0. If the MAC only has USB 1.1 the suspend states are a little different. I have seen other people have similar problems the the IPOD series of Apple products.

A lot of battery power USB products will not charge unless the USB connection is up and established. This is a really stupid approch but manufacturers seam to think that i makes sense.

kingpin094

Kingpin094 said:
What version USB do the computers have?

I am guessing the IPOD uses USB 2.0. If the MAC only has USB 1.1 the suspend states are a little different. I have seen other people have similar problems the the IPOD series of Apple products.

The MAC is a 1 year old Quadra. My machine and the MAC are USB 2.0.
But I would think it only need the 5volts.

A lot of battery power USB products will not charge unless the USB connection is up and established. This is a really stupid approch but manufacturers seam to think that i makes sense.

But this IPOD (running ROCKBOX) shows it is connected and charging, it just does no charge. And the Wall wart unit, it just 5VDC waiting to the IPOD to pull the power from it. And the IPOD shows it is connected to USB and charging. As stated earlier, it is just weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back