Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

iPhone woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan1

G'day Guy's,
Well with me telling Optass due to their non coverage of mobile service I got a 2 year contract dissolved. I found an unlimited call plan with Kogan so got a SIM card. When that got picked up yesterday morning I went into $$$$$ converters and bought what was so-called an unlocked iPhone 4S with 16 gig. When I put the SIM card in the phone went into recovery mode and making a new thread on the whirlpool forum did prove that this phone is carrier locked.

The iPhone is now boxed up and I reckon I'm going to give $$$$$ converters a big pain for selling me a locked phone. I won't accept a money back but instead demand an unlocked iPhone to the same spec I bought.

Now just to prove this iPhone is locked I can show them how my old Nokis 5140 just works with the SIM card and how this so-called smart phone is carrier locked.

$$$$$$$ converters is now owned by the sultan of Brunia so I bet he won't want negative press. As far as I'm concerned I bought a product in the belief it would be true but now I found it isn't I do believe they should replace it with a working one and hang the cost.

I will have my invoice book handy if they want to play games as I have lost a days work over this and talking with my scumbag friend(lawyer) he does think I can can go them and he will back me up.

So heads up to a guy that is sick of consumerism and time to make a stand......

Cheers Bryan

P.S. to help sooth the pain I put on 1kg of thawed beef mince, 1/3 of a jar of sweet chilli sauce, one jar of ragalata, one full jar of tomato paste, one tin of tomato peices, multiple spices and of course one fresh scotch bonnet bell chilli fresh off the plant. I gave both daughters a taste and as my wife said don't mention chilli's and I reckon this dish will one to savour for.

Last edited:
I hope you win re the lies they told you about the phone. Although I think your changes of getting an unlocked phone in exchange is about zero, the best you might hope for is a full refund.

By the way you don't need a lawyer, you have access to free consumer support at your local office of consumer affairs. They are very effective at forcing retailers to refund in full on products sold under lies.

Re a solution, when I buy an unlocked phone I get them to put my old sim card in it, in the shop, and make sure it works properly before paying. Some shops consider "locked/unlocked" as a little white lie, they just tell you what you want to hear so you will buy it.

Hi Roman,
Knocked off work early so I time to get back to $$$$$ converters and a young gal took my query about the phone, sure enough she admitted when my sim was in the phone it was carrier locked. Anyway I asked to try one of the two that were on the shelf and at first she said sorry you can't just swap phones. So I demanded to see the manager who cane out and I explained it all to him. He went straight to the cabinet and got the 2 phones out that I had pointed out then told the young girl to check them with my sim card. The first came up good and I said well this looks like it is unlocked then she said as this phone is more than your receipt shows you will have to pay the extra. I blasted back at her that had gotten a 5% discount and I aint paying one cent more. She said well you can't have the phone, as the manager walked by I asked why he had such a twit for an employee and could I get some sense from you before I lose it and go you guys for dishonest conduct. He took one look at my receipt and said no problem this phone is yours at no extra cost and whats the bet they will be looking for another employee tomorrow.

Anyway so now i have a working iphone 4 with V6 installed and my mate son said that is one good phone you have but the home button does seem a bit sticky. If you have a problem with when i come back from my next shift I'll fix it for you.

So atleast one good thing happened today......

Regards Bryan

He took one look at my receipt and said no problem this phone is yours at no extra cost and whats the bet they will be looking for another employee tomorrow.

You would lose your money :p

She was doing EXACTLY as she had been told, and wouldn't have the authority to do what you wished, if anything she will be praised for her correct procedure.

I would not blame the phone, sounds like a unscrupulous carrier issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back