Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ions and Electronic Parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbwa

Hello there. I'd like to warn you before you read this, I have very, very, very little knowledge of electronics, and I am prone to over worry, so this may be a stupid question. I'm already a member of one electronics forum, I came here because I was worried I was annoying them with my noobishness. :p

Anyway, I recently bought an electric guitar amplifier. I was worried about moisture inside, so I used a blow dryer on a low setting to take care of that, as I had read that that works. Well I noticed that the device was on an 'ionic' setting, which apparently releases a cloud of negatively charged ions with the air to help reduce frizziness and help hair dry faster.

Is it possible that these negative ions could have done any damage to the parts inside the amp?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
No.

Unless you are very, I mean VERY, unlucky.

edit: I have more than once throwed my pants with my pendrives in their pockets in the washing machine. It's not a very good practice, I may say, but what the hell. These things are the 21st century Highlanders :p. Be cool =)

ps: I mean, if your guitar amp is a Mesa Boogie, I'm pretty confident that's FUBAR. Sent it to my house, here in Brazil, that I'll be more than glad to give it a nice and cozy place to rest in peace :D

Last edited:
Most of those ionic devices are gimicks they don't put out enough ions to do anything useful. Hair dryer was a decent idea though I'd worry more about dust. I've seen dust bunnies kill machines many times. My wife has an air purifier that has an ionizer sitting right next to her PC, never hurt a thing.

Thanks, that provides some reassurance.

I'd just like to point out, though, the amplifier has an open back, so the 'ions' had direct access to some of the components. I don't know if this is any different than your computer example, because they are mostly closed.

Sorry for bugging you.:eek:

You're not bugging anyone, but you definitly are being a bit paranoid =) No offense intended. Seriously don't worry about it, you're more in danger of damaging a component in there by touching it than from what you did. If you play the odds, there is no risk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back