Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inverting & Level Shifting a Digital Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dssvo

I have a TTL (3.3V HIGH, 0V LOW) serial port on my microcontroller. I want to use it to communicate with another device, which uses (5V HIGH, 0V LOW) and the signal is also inverted.

What's simple circuit to invert and level-shift this signal in each direction?

Last edited:
2n3904, 10K base resistor, 4.7K pull-up to +5V.

To complete Mike ML's suggestion, if you want to to go from the device output to 3.3V TTL on your µC, use the same circuit but connect the 4.7k pull-up to +3.3V.

Thanks for your replies!

I was trying to do this with an NPN BJT, 3.3v signal IN to base, emitter to GND, collector to 10k resistor to +5v, then reading the signal from the collector. I must have screwed up.

I took a picture of the correct, desired signal from the original USB serial adapter that came with my device ---

78-8X206.png

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get a picture of the output of the uC but it measures +3.3v, idle on high.

I was trying to do this with an NPN BJT, 3.3v signal IN to base, emitter to GND, collector to 10k resistor to +5v, then reading the signal from the collector. I must have screwed up.
You need a resistor in series with the base (see Mike ML's circuit). Otherwise you could zap the transistor.

the level shifter shown within the dotted box is for a 3.3V OC output (with or without a pullup). for active outputs, you can simplify it by shorting across R4 and removing R2.LEVELSHIFT.jpg

Last edited:
3.3V logic meets the VIL and VIh input requirements for TTL logic. You could just use a cmos inverter with TTL compatible inputs like HCT or ACT family.

MikeMl said:
2n3904, 10K base resistor, 4.7K pull-up to +5V.

I tried putting this together. The waveform looks perfectly like what I need in the oscilloscope, but the target device won't respond to this signal. Looks like I need to have an open drain or totem pole output for this to work, like in the drawing shown by unclejed613... but I don't fully understand it yet.

unclejed613 said:
the level shifter shown within the dotted box is for a 3.3V OC output (with or without a pullup). for active outputs, you can simplify it by shorting across R4 and removing R2

Thanks !!! --- But what's V1 for in this diagram?

V1 is a pulse signal used to drive the transistor that simulates your 3.3V device output. it's just a signal source used for part of the example.. it's not part of the level shifter. i will post the waveforms from the circuit in operation if you like, then you can see what's going on in it.

V1 is a pulse signal used to drive the transistor that simulates your 3.3V device output. it's just a signal source used for part of the example.. it's not part of the level shifter. i will post the waveforms from the circuit in operation if you like, then you can see what's going on in it.

Oh, I understand now. Thanks!

Mikebits said:
As I tried to elude to, your 3.3v logic device will drive TTL compatible parts. All you need is a cmos inverter with TTL compatible inputs.

Got it. Thanks!

Last edited:
A little after the fact, but this is one other alternative I just designed for something at work:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back