Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inverting, Build or Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

Today, in electronics class, my teacher gave me the task of getting this old controller; for a robotic arm to run off of 12VDC. The controller runs off of 120VAC @ 4 Amps. The question I have is, with the dropping prices of power inverters should I go out and buy a 500W inverter, or build one? I would rather build one to learn some things. For that I also need your guys help.

P.S We are mounting this robotic arm onto our original robot. The robot runs off of a car battery. (as if there isn't enough load on that already :?)

Thanks

windozeuser said:
Today, in electronics class, my teacher gave me the task of getting this old controller; for a robotic arm to run off of 12VDC. The controller runs off of 120VAC @ 4 Amps. The question I have is, with the dropping prices of power inverters should I go out and buy a 500W inverter, or build one? I would rather build one to learn some things. For that I also need your guys help.

I would say buy one, it would cost more to build your own, and it probably won't be as efficient anyway?.

P.S We are mounting this robotic arm onto our original robot. The robot runs off of a car battery. (as if there isn't enough load on that already :?)

Well, 4A @120V works out as 40A at 12V, assuming 100% efficiency, so I would allocate 50A from the battery for the inverter!.

This looks like being a robot with a VERY short battery life!.

Well, 4A @120V works out as 40A at 12V, assuming 100% efficiency, so I would allocate 50A from the battery for the inverter!.

Indeed, I am debating on buying a second battery dedicated to just the inverter.

Only problem is in the original design, we didn't consider room for an additional battery :roll:

Thanks for your input Nigel :D

windozeuser said:

Indeed, I am debating on buying a second battery dedicated to just the inverter.

It would seem a VERY good idea!.

make sure you get the right sort, a lead-acid that can be deep-charged (think thats the term)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back