Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inverting amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a high gain, differential amplifier, called an operational amplifier or op amp. Goggle will tell all.

It is a high gain, differential amplifier, called an operational amplifier or op amp. Goggle will tell all.

Hi crutschow

I'm confused - it's not that I don't believe what you say. According to Wikipedia the the linked diagram in my first post has inverting amplifier. You compare the diagram in post #1 and the one in Wikipedia article, they look the same. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

The op amp is the thing represented by the triangle, which is what you originally asked. It consists of numerous integrated transistors and other components to form a basic analog amplifier block . It is normally configured with various passive and active devices to perform any number of functions, as shown in the Wikipedia article

In your referenced diagram, two resistors are connected so the op amp will function as an inverting amplifier with a gain of Rf/Rin. It is the resistor connections that make it an inverting amplifier with a fixed gain.

Is that all clear?

See the circuit called "Inverting amplifier" here: **broken link removed**

and the equations are here.

See: **broken link removed**

The input to the OP amp is to the (-) terminal, therefore it inverts.

The OP amp essentially takes (+ input)-(- input ) and multiples it by a big number called open loop gain.

In your circuit, the OP amp tries to maintain the (+) input at the ground potential.

In order to do that Vout/Rf has to equal Vin/Rin. The ideal OP amp draws no current from it's inputs.

From there, you can find the gain from Vout/Vin = -Rf/Rin

The (-) sign says it's inverting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back